An easy, 1-bowl, 9×13 cake with that is extra moist. This Amish cake recipe has a butter, brown sugar & nut topping that bakes into the top of the cake.
Amish Cake Recipe
Old-fashioned, classic recipes are all the rage right now. Especially during the fall season, friends and family enjoy the aroma of butter and brown sugar wafting through the air. This easy Amish cake recipe comes from my favorite cookbook that is almost 30 years old. Fancy, swirled layer cakes certainly have their place, but a simple buttery cake recipe calls my name every.single.time.
Easy Cake Batter Recipe
The batter of this cake has only 6 ingredients:
Butter: We use salted butter, although most bakers bake with unsalted because then they can control the salt content. I’ve never had an issue with using salted butter, so since that is what we use everyday, it’s just easier to keep one butter on hand.
Brown Sugar: The reason why this cake has an amazing, deep, rich flavor.
Buttermilk: Buttermilk tenderizes cakes and makes them ultra moist. Don’t skip on this. If you don’t have buttermilk on hand, simply add a teaspoon of white vinegar to a measuring cup before filling it the rest of the way with milk. You’ll need two cups of buttermilk for this recipe.
Baking Soda & Flour: Traditional cake necessities!
Vanilla: Imitation vanilla may be cheaper, but your desserts will taste better every time if you use pure vanilla extract.
Broiled Brown Sugar Nut Topping
Although we’re crazy about frosting, sometimes you simplicity wins out. This Amish cake calls for a mixture of soft butter, milk, brown sugar and nuts. Spread this mixture on top of the warm cake and put it under the broiler on low for 1-3 minutes. Watch your cake closely. You don’t want it to burn! Remove it from the oven once the nut topping starts bubbling.
Seriously though…look at that moist cake. Unbelievable on its own, with a cup of coffee or a scoop of ice cream.
- 1/2 cup butter softened
- 2 cups brown sugar packed
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 6 tablespoons butter softened
- 4 tablespoons milk
- 1 cup brown sugar packed
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans or walnuts
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- In a large bowl, cream together the butter and sugar.
- Add the buttermilk and baking soda. Mix well.
- Add in the flour and vanilla. Mix until combined.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 30 minutes or until the center bounces back when you touch it.
- While the cake is baking, make the topping. In a bowl, combine the butter, milk, brown sugar and nuts. Mix well.
- Spread this mixture all over the top of the warm cake.
- Place under the broiler (turned to low) and bake for 1-3 minutes or until the nut topping is bubbling.
- Remove from the oven and allow the cake to cool.
- Serve warm alone, with whipped cream or with ice cream.