With basic pantry ingredients and minimal kitchen supplies you can make this simple yet delicious Chocolate Crazy Cake. It’s a perfect cake when you’re low on supplies or need to whip up a yummy cake quickly!
Did you know you can make a delicious chocolate cake without eggs, oil, butter, or a KitchenAid mixer? This chocolate crazy cake uses staple pantry ingredients to bring together a simple cake that is so good!
No dairy. No eggs. No mess. All chocolate cake goodness!
What is Crazy Cake?
Crazy cake, also known as Depression Cake and Wacky Cake, was born out of necessity during the Great Depression. When ingredients like eggs and dairy were being rationed or hard to find, bakers found a way to make a cake with ingredients they already had on hand.
You may have seen a recipe similar to this one in your grandma’s recipe box! It has become a timeless cake recipe that is loved across generations.
In today’s world, it’s a go-to cake recipe when stores are running out of eggs left and right, (or we just can’t make it to the grocery store in time). It’s also one of the best birthday cake recipes I’ve found for kids with egg or dairy allergies.
What Ingredients Are In Chocolate Crazy Cake?
Crazy cake doesn’t use some of your typical cake ingredients, and even uses a few unconventional cake ingredients. With ingredients like coffee and white vinegar, this cake is definitely a bit on the wacky side, but it tastes so good!
And don’t worry, no one will be able to tell it’s eggless or taste the vinegar once they bite into it!
Even better, Crazy Chocolate Cake is made and baked in one single dish. No need for a kitchen mixer or multiple bowls. This no-mess recipe is so easy to make and turns out moist and delicious!
It’s a perfect cake to make when you’re out of typical cake ingredients or need to make an egg-free or dairy-free cake due to allergy restrictions.
We also like to make it for an easy, yummy cake with minimal clean up!
How to Make Chocolate Wacky Cake
- Prepare. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Place. Place flour, sugar, cocoa powder, salt, baking soda, and chocolate chips into an ungreased 8×8 inch pan.
- Stir, not mix. Stir all the dry ingredients together and make a well in the center of the pan. Just use a regular spoon!
- Combine. Pour vanilla, vinegar, vegetable oil, and water into well and whisk together until just combined. Do not overmix. It’s okay to have some lumps.
- Bake. Place in oven and bake for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Allow cake to cool completely.
- Top it. Frost with your favorite frosting or dust with powdered sugar.
- Enjoy. Cut into squares and serve.
Frosting Variations for Chocolate Crazy Cake
The original Crazy Cake was dusted with powdered sugar to keep things simple. Other options for topping this cake include:
- Easy chocolate frosting (Add sprinkles if desired)
- Chocolate buttercream frosting
- Sour cream chocolate frosting
- Store bought frosting of your choice
When to Make Crazy Cake?
Make this homemade cake for your child with an egg allergy, your vegan friend, or when you want a chocolate cake but are out of eggs.
This is also a great cake recipe that kids can help with when they’re home from school. A one-pan cake means hardly any dishes for clean up and more time to sit and enjoy a piece of cake together.
Chocolate Crazy Cake
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup mini chocolate chips
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon distilled white vinegar
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup water (or strong coffee for enhanced chocolate flavor)
- 1 1/2 cups chocolate frosting Use store bought frosting or your own favorite chocolate frosting.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Place flour, sugar, cocoa powder, salt, baking soda, and chocolate chips into an ungreased 8×8 inch pan.
- Stir all the dry ingredients together and make a well in the center of the pan.
- Pour vanilla, vinegar, vegetable oil, and water into well and whisk together until just combined. Do not overmix. It’s okay to have some lumps.
- Place in oven and bake for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool cake completely.
- Frost with your favorite frosting or dust with powdered sugar.
- Cut into squares and serve. Enjoy!