No one will believe this cake starts with a cake mix! Best ever Mandarin Orange Cake is one of the easiest cake recipes. It’s light and fruit-filled…delicious!
Mandarin Orange Cake Recipe
Everyone LOVES this pig pickin’ cake. And when I say that I’m not exaggerating. I haven’t met anyone who dislikes it! There are mandarin oranges whipped into the cake batter and a fluffy pineapple frosting covering the top. Make it as a layer cake or in a 9×13 pan. You’ll love it for summer picnics!
Pig Pickin’ Cake
I have seen this cake called every name under the sun. Pig pickin’ cake, pea pickin’ cake, mandarin orange cake, pineapple sunset cake. I’m forgetting the rest but I know there are more! It’s easier than ever because it starts with a box cake mix. And here’s a hint for even more flavor. Save the pineapple juice when you drain the pineapple and use it in place of water when whipping up the cake batter. Delicious!
Pineapple Pudding Frosting
This whipped cream frosting has to be one of my favorites…and not just because it is easy! It is light, fluffy and fresh. Not too sweet, but cool and creamy. If you want to keep it easy, use Cool Whip. For those of you who don’t like whipped topping use a stabilized whipped cream and make as directed. Be sure to store this cake in the refrigerator. You won’t want that whipped frosting to melt off!
Other Fruit Cake Recipes
Tools to Make This Cake
- Stand Mixer: A hand mixer will work, but I always find it easier to make cake batter and whipped cream with a stand mixer.
- 8” Round Cake Pan: These are my favorite pans!
- Straight Icing Spatula: The long straight spatula makes it easy to smooth frosting.
Must Have Cake Mix Recipes! Sometimes you need a shortcut. Just because time is in limited supply, it doesn’t mean that flavor and fun have to be! Our cookbook has 20 cakes and cupcakes that all start with a cake mix but end up as a beautiful dessert no one will be able to resist. Click here to read about it!
No one will believe this cake starts with a cake mix! Best ever Mandarin Orange Cake is one of the easiest cake recipes. It's light and fruit-filled...delicious!
- 1 box yellow cake mix (plus ingredients the box mix calls for)
- 11 ounces mandarin oranges (drained)
- 20 ounces crushed pineapple (drained)
- 3.4 ounces instant vanilla pudding mix (dry)
- 12 ounces Cool Whip or stabilized whipped cream
- Prepare cake batter according to the directions on the box.
- Beat in the drained oranges until blended.
- Pour into two greased and floured 9-in. round baking pans.
- Bake at 350° for 22-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes and then transfer from the pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- In a bowl, combine the drained pineapple and dry vanilla pudding mix.
- Fold in the Cool Whip.
- Spread some of the frosting on the top of one layer.
- Then put the other layer of cake on top of that. Spread the remaining frosting on the top and sides of the cake. Garnish with mandarin oranges or pineapple chunks, if desired.
- Store this cake in the refrigerator.
The calories shown are based on the cake being cut into 12 pieces, with 1 serving being 1 slice of cake. Since different brands of ingredients have different nutritional information, the calories shown are just an estimate.