Semi-homemade nutter butter peanut butter cake with from-scratch peanut butter buttercream. Decorate quickly and easily with Nutter Butters for a pretty cake presentation!
So often you find peanut butter frosting on chocolate cake. But what about peanut butter frosting on peanut butter cake? A double peanut butter punch? Yes please!
Nutter Butter Peanut Butter Cake Recipe
If you’re crazy about peanut butter like my family is, try this semi-homemade nutter butter peanut butter cake! We took a box cake mix and jazzed it up with a little peanut butter to give it that sweet, rich flavor of peanut butter that people go crazy for.
It’s topped with our favorite peanut butter buttercream, an easy, homemade frosting that tastes like the inside of a Reese’s cup!
Peanut Butter Cake
This cake starts with a box cake mix which makes it semi-homemade and really easy! It has just a light peanut butter flavor. We bake the cake in 2 9″ round baking pans, but you can also simply make this in a 9×13 baking pan if you’d like a sheet cake.
If you’re baking round cakes, allow them to cool in the pan for 10 minutes, then turn them out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
Peanut Butter Frosting
This frosting is AMAZING. Not only does it taste like Nutter Butter cookie filling, it also could easily pass as a buckeye, my favorite homemade candy! Just try not to eat this frosting with a spoon. It’s that good.
I haven’t ever tried this frosting with natural peanut butter and I’m not sure it would work. We use traditional creamy peanut butter. Be sure to add your milk 1 tablespoon at a time until your frosting is at a good spreadable consistency. All peanut butters are different so you may not need as much milk.
Decorate the Cake
We used Wilton Tip 1M to pipe pretty swirls on this layer cake, then topped it with Nutter Butter cookies.
It’s guaranteed to bring out the kid in you!
Other Peanut Butter Cake Recipes
Tools To Make This Cake
- Stand Mixer: A hand mixer will work, but I always find it easier to make frostings with a stand mixer.
- Beater Blade with Scraper: The best invention ever!
- 9” Round Cake Pan: These are my favorite pans!
- Straight Icing Spatula: The long straight spatula makes it easy to smooth frosting.
- Wire Cooling Racks: This will help your cakes cool more quickly.
- Wilton 1M Tip: For piping pretty swirls on cupcakes.
Nutter Butter Peanut Butter Cake
- 1 box yellow cake mix
- 1 1/4 cups water
- 1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 3 large eggs
Peanut Butter Frosting:
- 1 cup butter (softened)
- 2 cup creamy peanut butter
- 6 tablespoons milk
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 8 ounces Nutter Butters cookies
- For the layer cake: In a large mixing bowl, beat cake mix, water, peanut butter, oil and eggs with electric mixer on medium speed about 2 minutes. Pour into greased and floured 9 inch round pans.
- Bake the cake for 30 minutes at 350 degrees or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes, then invert the round cakes onto a cooling rack to cool completely.
- For the Peanut Butter Frosting: In a mixing bowl, blend together peanut butter, powdered sugar, butter, and milk with an electric mixer on medium speed for about 3-3minutes or until light and fluffy.
- Level the cakes if necessary, then place one cake on a plate and frost the top. Place the other cake on top of that and frost the sides and top. Decorate as desired with piping rosettes and using Nutter Butters, large or bite-sized.