This easy pumpkin spice earthquake cake starts with a spice cake mix and has a creamy cheesecake layer swirled in the cake batter. Top with a few chocolate chips for a delicious easy pumpkin dessert.
Pumpkin Spice Earthquake Cake Recipe
Who is ready for all things pumpkin? Me!! Pumpkin, cream cheese and chocolate should be legal all year round, but we’re finally nearing the “acceptable” time frame. This desserts covers all of those bases and is easy to make when that first pumpkin craving hits.
What is earthquake cake?
An earthquake cake is an easy cake recipe that starts with a boxed cake mix. Why is it called earthquake? The cake mix bubbles up around the cream cheese layer as it bakes and creates a “lumpy” surface with cracks and crevices and looks all kinds of delicious. With earthquake cakes, the possibilities are endless because there are so many flavors of cake mixes!
How to Make Earthquake Cake
There are two parts to earthquake cake: the cake batter and the cream cheese layer. You’ll want to mix both up separately. Prepare the cake batter and pour it in a 9×13 pan, then mix up the cream cheese layer. Swirl the two together and sprinkle with a few chocolate chips. It’s really that easy. A 15 minute prep and 35 minute bake time means this cake is ready to go in less than an hour.
Because of the cream cheese layer, it’s best to let this cake set and cool for awhile before slicing. Warm cake is always good, but if you want clean slices, be sure to allow the cake to cool.
How to Store Earthquake Cake
Because this cake has a cream cheese layer, it’s best to store it in the refrigerator. Allow the cake to cool completely, cover it and then pop it in the fridge.
Other Pumpkin Cake Recipes
Pumpkin Spice Earthquake Cake
- 1 box Betty Crocker Spice Cake Mix
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup pumpkin puree (canned)
- ¾ cup water
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
Cream Cheese Filling:
- 8 ounces cream cheese (room temperature)
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter (melted)
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9x13 baking pan with non-stick spray.
- In a large bowl, mix together the cake mix, pumpkin, eggs, water, oil, sugar and pumpkin pie spice. Pour batter into the prepared pan.
- In another bowl, melt the butter and mix together with the room temperature cream cheese. Stir in the powdered sugar and mix until well combined.
- Place spoonfuls of the cream cheese mixture all over the top of the cake mixture. Using a knife, gently swirl through the cream cheese. Sprinkle chocolate chips on top and bake for 40-50 minutes or until center is set.
- Allow the cake to almost completely cool before cutting. If you cut before it cools, the cake will be very soft and won't cut cleanly.
- Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator.