Not sure whether you want apple pie or apple cake? Why not this apple pie poke cake? You’ll love the combination of creamy pudding and apple pie filling. Top with caramel nuts for a pretty presentation!
Apple Pie Poke Cake Recipe
We’re slightly crazy for spice cakes around here. My girls love them…and for some reason they seem just a little healthier to me than a normal cake. I know, I know…it’s not true, but I can pretend, right? This easy poke cake recipe starts with a spice cake mix and then has a creamy pudding & apple filling. It is great for the fall season…or for those other times of year when you are craving fall flavor!
How to Make Poke Cake
Poke cakes are super easy to make. You start with a box cake mix…in this instance, a spice cake. Make the cake according to the package directions and allow it to cool. Once it is cool, take the handle of a wooden spoon and poke about 16-20 holes in the top of the cake. This is for the pudding mixture to sink down into the cake.
This poke cake filling is a little unique. Take instant vanilla pudding mix, 1 cup of milk and a can of apple pie filling. Blend it together for a few seconds so that the apples get chopped up. You can blend it smooth or you can just pulse the blender so you are left with a few apple chunks.
Pour this mixture onto the cake and spread it around, allowing the mixture to sink into the holes. Top with whipped cream, then drizzle with caramel topping and nuts.
Boom. Easy cake done!
Store this cake in the refrigerator until you are ready to serve it. Remember to store any leftovers in the refrigerator also!
Other Poke Cake Recipes
- Strawberry Poke Cake
- Pineapple Poke Cake
- Banana Poke Cake
- Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Poke Cake
- Margarita Poke Cake
Tools To Make This Cake
- KitchenAid Stand Mixer: The best mixer for cakes, cookies and frostings!
- Beater Blade with Scraper: The best invention ever!
- 9”x13” Baking Pan: One of my most used kitchen pans.
Apple Pie Poke Cake
- 1 box spice cake mix
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup water
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 20 ounces apple pie filling (1 can)
- 3.4 ounces instant vanilla pudding mix
- 1 cup milk
- 8 ounces whipped topping (thawed)
- Optional toppings: caramel and sundae nuts
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Spray a 9x13 pan with cooking spray.
- Combine first 4 ingredients in a large bowl and mix with a hand mixer until smooth (about 2-3 minutes).
- Pour mixture into the prepared pan. Bake cake for 26 to 29 minutes or the center of the cake bounces back when you touch it.
- Allow cake to cool on a wire rack.
- Mix together apple pie filling, vanilla pudding mix and milk in a blender until the apples are smooth.
- Poke 16-20 holes in the cake with the end of a wooden spoon.
- Pour the apple pudding filling over the cake and spread it back and forth to fill in the holes.
- Top with whipped cream, caramel and chopped sundae nuts.
- Store the cake in the refrigerator.
The calories shown are based on the cake being cut into 15 pieces, with 1 serving being 1 slice of cake. Since different brands of ingredients have different nutritional information, the calories shown are just an estimate.