An easy, from-scratch chocolate cake recipe with a fudgy bottom. Pour water over this Hot Fudge Cake before baking and watch the magic!
Hot Fudge Cake
As I was flipping through an old cookbook that my grandma had given me years ago, I spotted a hot fudge cake recipe. Now just the name alone made me immediately stop and stare. I’m not one to judge a book by its cover, but when you say Hot+Fudge+Cake all the title? I’m immediately sold.
What intrigued me more about this from-scratch cake recipe is the way you made it. Pour hot water over the top of the cake? That’s one thing I’d never done before. I’m all for a challenge and decided…yes…we must try this!
Hot Fudge Sundae Cake
If you love hot fudge sundaes…or are just looking for an easy chocolate cake recipe to serve with ice cream, this is it. It’s not a fancy, rich chocolate layer cake that will show off your cake decorating skills. In fact, it’s quite ugly. It has almost a soft brownie look to the top of the cake.
But underneath that ugly exterior is rich, thick chocolate fudge sauce. It’s like a magic cake. The kids will love this one!
You can add nuts to this easy chocolate fudge cake if you’d like…either pecans or walnuts. Or you can leave those out.
And did I mention that this cake is egg free? The perfect cake for those with egg allergies!
Hot Fudge Cake Recipe
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons cocoa powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup chopped walnuts optional
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1 1/3 cup hot water
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Spray the inside of an 8x8 baking pan with cooking spray.
- In a bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, salt and baking powder.
- Add the oil, sugar, milk and vanilla. Mix well.
- Fold in the chopped nuts if desired.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan.
- Sprinkle the brown sugar over the cake batter.
- Sprinkle the cocoa powder over the brown sugar.
- Pour hot water evenly overtop the cake batter.
- Bake in preheated oven for 40 minutes.
- Serve warm with ice cream.