This soft, fluffy, homemade cherry angel food cake boasts a pink color from the maraschino cherries. It’s a low fat cake recipe perfect for indulging in a guilt-free dessert.
Cherry Angel Food Cake Recipe
If you’re looking for a twist on the traditional angel food cake, this Cherry Angel Food Cake comes to the rescue. Not only is it gorgeously pink in color, but it is light, fluffy and full of cherry almond flavor.
Angel food cake is a classic and this recipe steps that cake up a notch!
Low Fat Cherry Cake
One thing I love about angel food cakes is that they are low in fat. They only use egg whites and have no added oil. And a slice is fairly low in calories, especially if you leave off the cherry glaze.
Maraschino Cherry Cake
Be sure you drain the cherries for this cake well. You don’t want the extra juice in the cake. Also, if you want the pretty pink color, be sure you choose maraschino cherries with food dye. I realize food dye gets a bad name, but if you choose cherries without food coloring, your cake will not be pink.
Cherry Almond Glaze
This cake has a cherry almond glaze made from powdered sugar, butter, the reserved cherry juice and almond extract. Simply whisk these ingredients together and pour it drizzle it over the cooled cake.
Easy cake, right? Simply top this with dollops of whipped cream and extra maraschino cherries. It’s a perfectly pinkalicious cake for Valentine’s Day!
Tools Needed to Make Angel Food Cake
- Stand Mixer: A hand mixer will work, but I always find it easier to froth eggs with a stand mixer.
- Angel Food Cake Tube Pan: I find that traditional aluminum pans work best.
- Flour Sifter: Because you should always take the extra step to sift flour for excellent results.
This soft, fluffy, homemade cherry angel food cake boasts a pink color from the maraschino cherries. It's a low fat cake recipe perfect for indulging in a guilt-free dessert.
- 1 1/2 cups white sugar
- 1 cup cake flour
- 1 1/2 cups egg whites (11-12 eggs)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon almond flavoring
- 2/3 cup chopped maraschino cherries (drained well, but reserve the juice)
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 1/3 cup maraschino cherry juice
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees.
- Sift together 3/4 cup of sugar and the flour three times. Set it aside.
- In a clean, grease-free bowl, beat the egg whites until they are frothy .
- Add the salt and cream of tartar, then beat until the eggs hold stiff peaks.
- Add the remaining sugar, three tablespoons at a time, beating well after each addition.
Fold in the flour/sugar mixture about 1/2 a cup at a time, then fold in the almond flavoring and drained cherries.
- Spoon the batter into an ungreased angel food cake tube pan.
- Bake on the lowest oven rack for 45 minutes or until the top is lightly browned and looks dry.
- Remove the pan from the oven and immediately invert the pan, standing it upside down on 3 glasses that are equal in height for support.
- Allow the cake to cool upside down completely, then slide a knife around the sides and center of the pan to loosen the cake.
Remove the cake to a plate.
To make the glaze, whisk together the powdered sugar, butter, juice and extract until smooth.
Drizzle the glaze over the cake.
Store the cake in an airtight container.
The calories shown are based on the cake being cut into 12 pieces (and dividing the glaze 12 ways), with 1 serving being 1 slice of cake with glaze. Since different brands of ingredients have different nutritional information, the calories shown are just an estimate.