Only 4 ingredients needed for this low fat cake recipe. Pineapple Orange Angel Food Cake is the perfect light, fruity dessert to finish off a picnic.
I’m addicted to easy cake recipes. And when it is a low fat cake? Even better. You’ve loved our 4 ingredient fruit cake with a yellow cake mix. Now it’s time to try one with an angel food cake base.
Although baking from scratch is fun, sometimes an easy dessert calls. Cake mixes come to the rescue for delicious desserts when time is short. This Pineapple Orange Angel Food Cake uses only 4 ingredients. And spoiler alert….one is the topping!
Low Fat Cake Recipe
Angel food cakes are considered low fat because they don’t have any oil, butter or egg yolks. They still have sugar, but are light and not heavy at all.
The base of this cake is a boxed angel food cake. You’ll just mix in pineapple and oranges to add texture and citrus flavor.
Does angel food cake have dairy?
No! Angel food cake is generally dairy free. Note…because this uses a box mix and all mix brands are different, be sure to check the ingredients.
Are eggs dairy?
“But wait….it has eggs” some of you will say. Eggs are not dairy. You might get confused since they are often found in the dairy section, but eggs are considered a meat & poultry item.
How to Make Pineapple Orange Angel Food Cake
- This cake is easy peasy:Put cake mix in a 9×13 baking pan. Pour pineapple with juice into the pan.
- Drain off the juice from the oranges and add them to the pan.
- Whisk until batter is mixed. You will see bubbles forming that is normal with the citrus and the cake mix. **Be sure to get the corners to make sure it is all mixed in. You may need to use a spatula.**
- After everything is whisked together place in oven for 40 minutes at 350 degrees.
- Once cake is completely cool to the touch you can top with fat free whipped topping.
Cool Whip vs Homemade Whipped Cream
If you’re going for fat free, stick with Cool Whip (whipped topping). But if you want more natural and don’t care about fat, then try homemade sweetened whipped cream. You can even use the spray whip on top of this cake for an easy topping.
Do you have to refrigerate cake?
Yes! Because this cake has fruit and whipped topping, you’ll want to refrigerate it. Cover the cake before refrigerating.
It’s best eaten cold!
Other Easy Cake Recipes
Pineapple Angel Food Cake
- 20 ounces pineapple tidbits (with juice)
- 15 ounces mandarin oranges (drain off juice)
- 1 box dry angel food cake mix
- 16 ounces fat free whipped topping
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Place the dry angel food cake mix in a 9×13 baking pan.
- Add the pineapple tidbits with juice.
- Add the drained mandarin oranges.
- Whisk until batter is mixed, scraping the corners of the pan to make sure it is all mixed in. You will see bubbles forming that is normal with the citrus and the cake mix.
- After everything is whisked together place in oven for about 40 minutes.
- Once cake is completely cool to the touch, spread whipped topping all over the top.
- Serve right away or chill then serve.