The easiest cake you’ll ever make! This frosted 4 Ingredient Chocolate Cherry Cake starts with a chocolate cake mix and is loaded with cherry filling.
Today we’re sharing a cake that couldn’t be any easier. It’s not 100% from scratch, but it is 100% delicious.
Sometimes you just need quick and easy…and this easy cake recipe answers that call. It’s a 4 Ingredient Chocolate Cherry Cake.
4 Ingredient Chocolate Cherry Cake
This chocolate cherry cake has just 4 ingredients:
- chocolate cake mix
- almond extract
- cherry pie filling
There’s no need for oil or butter which makes this cake just a little lighter than other butter cake recipes.
How to Make Chocolate Cherry Cake
To make this cake, simply add the cake mix, 2 large eggs and the almond extract to a mixing bowl. Use a hand mixer to mix up it. The texture will resemble coarse crumbs.
Add the can of cherry pie filling. (Use low sugar cherry pie filling if you’d like!)
Then mix that together until it is well combined.
You’ll bake this cake in a 9×13 baking pan at 350º Fahrenheit for about 27 minutes. You’ll know it is done when the top springs back as you touch it.
Allow the cake to cool before frosting it!
Variations for Chocolate Cake
Here are a few variations you can use for this recipe:
- Add a teaspoon of espresso powder or a tablespoon of strong coffee to enhance the chocolate flavor.
- Use vanilla extract instead of almond extract.
- Use a different pie filling. Try blueberry or raspberry for a delicious twist!
- Use a different flavor of cake mix. You could easily use a white cake mix for a non-chocolate version of this cherry cake.
- Mix in a cup of mini chocolate chips to the batter before baking.
Chocolate Frosting Recipes
If you want to stick with quick and easy, pick up a tub of your favorite store bought frosting.
If you’d like homemade, here are a few of our favorites:
- Dark Chocolate Buttercream (with real chocolate melted in).
- Sour Cream Chocolate Frosting
- Chocolate Cherry Buttercream
- Classic Chocolate Buttercream
Whatever frosting you choose, you’ll need about 2 cups of frosting to cover a 9×13 cake.
How to Store Cake with Fruit
Because this cake had canned pie filling in it, it is ok to store at room temperature. If a cake has fresh fruit, you’d want to store it in the refrigerator.
How to Freeze Cake
This cake freezes well! We cut it into slices and placed them into a sealable container. Freeze for up to 6 weeks.
When you are ready to defrost the cake, allow the cake to defrost completely before you open the container. This will help keep the cake fresh and moist.
What to Serve with Cake
This cake is delicious as is, but if you’d like to jazz it up a bit, serve it with a dollop of whipped cream and cherry. You can also top it with your favorite ice cream.
Other Chocolate Cake Recipes
- Chocolate Cake with Peanut Butter Frosting
- Blackberry Chocolate Cake
- Sugar Free Chocolate Cake
- Gluten Free Chocolate Cake
Chocolate Cherry Cake
- 1 box chocolate cake mix
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 21 ounces cherry pie filling
- 1 tub chocolate frosting or 2 cups of homemade frosting
- Preheat the oven to 350º fahrenheit. Spray a 9×13 baking pan with cooking spray.
- Using a hand mixer, mix cake mix, eggs, milk and almond extract. Scrape the sides of the bowl as needed. The mixture will be like coarse crumbs.
- Add in pie filling and mix well.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until the cake tests done.
- Allow the cake to cool, then frost with chocolate frosting.
- Store at room temperature.