You won’t believe this is a sugar free homemade cake! An easy recipe for a fluffy, tender and moist Sugar Free Chocolate Cake. Frost with an easy cream cheese whipped frosting for a low-calorie dessert. You may also love our healthy banana cake.
Sugar Free Chocolate Cake Recipe
I’m so excited to be sharing this cake with you today. Many of you have asked for healthier cake recipes. This sugar free cake recipe was a twist on our traditional chocolate cake. It’s lower in calories so you can enjoy as big of a slice as you’d like…no guilt included!
Sugar Free Homemade Cake
If you’ve never made a homemade cake before, this is a great recipe to start with. We have made this cake countless times in many different ways. It has never failed us and is a great “beginner” cake. We replaced regular sugar with zero calorie sweetener (Splenda). The cake baked up moist and tender with a light crumb. I was really surprised how much I liked it and even my picky “sugar-loving” family didn’t seem to mind there was no sugar in it.
Why do you put coffee in chocolate cake?
This cake recipe calls for a cup of strong, hot coffee. Coffee enhances the flavor of chocolate cake. It will not taste like coffee, so even if you don’t care for coffee, you’ll still love this cake. Trust me! If you really don’t want to use coffee, you can use water instead. It will affect the flavor slightly, but the texture will still be good.
Sugar Free Chocolate Frosting
My biggest concern when tackling a sugar free chocolate cake was the frosting. I mean….frosting is sugar, so how was this going to work? I happened to find a recipe that used sugar free chocolate pudding and Cool Whip. Yes, I realize that Cool Whip does still have some sugar in it, but you can buy fat free or Lite, whichever works for you and you have a very low sugar frosting. This recipe also has cream cheese in it which helps to stabilize the frosting and “hold” it on to the cake.
Here’s our hint for making this frosting:
- Beat the cream cheese until it is smooth.
- Then in another bowl, mix together the pudding and milk.
- Spoon this into the cream cheese one spoonful at a time (maybe like 2 tablespoons?) and beat each addition in until it is smooth before adding more. If you add it all at once, you may have trouble getting the frosting smooth. Take your time!!
- Fold in the whipped topping.
- Refrigerate the frosting until the cakes are cooled and then you can frost the cake. It’s important to store this frosting in the refrigerator at all times so it doesn’t “melt” off the cake.
TOOLS TO MAKE THIS CAKE
- Stand Mixer: A hand mixer will work, but I always find it easier to make frostings with a stand mixer.
- Beater Blade with Scraper: The best invention ever!
- 9” Round Cake Pan: These are my favorite pans!
- Cake Spatula: To get that frosting nice and smooth.
- Wire Cooling Racks:This will help your cakes cool more quickly.
- Cake Plate: I have this cake plate and everyone loves it! It comes with the cute server too.
Sugar Free Chocolate CakePrint Pin Rate
Chocolate Layer Cake:
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 3/4 cups Splenda zero calorie sweetner
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 2 large eggs room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup freshly brewed strong hot coffee
- 8 ounces cream cheese (softened)
- 2.1 ounces sugar free chocolate pudding (1 large box)
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 8 ounces Lite Cool Whip
Make the Cake:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour 2 round 9-inch cake pans.
- For the cake, put flour, Splenda, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a bowl and mix well.
- In a stand mixer, mix the buttermilk, oil, eggs, vanilla together. Slowly add in the mix of dry ingredients while the mixer is on low. Add the coffee and make sure everything is combined. The batter will be very thin.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pans and bake for about 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Turn the cakes out onto a cooling rack. While the cakes are cooling, make the frosting.
Make the Frosting:
- Using a hand mixer, whip the softened cream cheese in a large bowl until smooth and creamy. Set aside.
- In another bowl, mix together the milk and sugar free pudding mix, whisking until smooth.
- Add the pudding, one spoonful at a time to the cream cheese, beating between each addition. Be careful not to add this too quickly or it won't mix in well.
- After you've added in all of the pudding, fold in the whipped topping and mix gently until completely combined.
Assemble the Cake:
- Place one cake layer on a plate.
- Spoon and smooth about 1 to 1 1/2 cups of frosting over the first cake layer.
- Place the second cake on top.
- Frost the top and outside of the cake (if desired) with the remaining frosting.
- Refrigerate the cake until serving. The frosting will soften and "melt" as it is at room temperature so be sure to keep the cake cold!