This healthy banana cake recipe is grain free, gluten free, dairy free and refined sugar free! Serve for a great snack or breakfast with a dollop of whipped coconut cream.
Healthy Banana Cake Recipe
We’re excited to bring to you today one of our first healthier cake recipes. This healthy banana cake is gluten free, grain free, dairy free and refined sugar free. It’s easy to mix up and a great way to use up brown bananas.
Gluten Free Banana Cake
This gluten free cake uses only 4 tablespoons of coconut flour as the only flour. The major part of the cake is made of almond butter, eggs and bananas…so it is really is amazing how soft and cake-like this cake ends up being.
Refined Sugar Free Cake
This recipe is sweetened partially from bananas and also from a touch of honey. If you didn’t want to use the honey, you could use a sugar free natural sweetener. We have only tested this cake recipe with honey. Maple syrup would be a great option too!
Be sure to choose almond butter that doesn’t have added sugar. Read the labels and make sure it is just made from almonds.
How to Make Healthier Banana Cake
This cake is really easy to mix up and is just like any other cake. Mix together the dry ingredients. Mix together the wet ingredients, then combine the two. Bake until the center of the cake springs back when you touch it…and you’re done!
This cake is perfect for snacks, breakfast or as dessert.
Other Gluten Free Cakes
Healthy Banana Cake
- 4 tablespoons coconut flour
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups almond butter
- 3 medium ripe bananas
- 4 large eggs
- 4 tablespoons honey
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons melted coconut oil (optional)
- 15 ounces chilled full-fat coconut milk (1 can)
- **Place the can of coconut milk in the refrigerator overnight or for at least 3 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Spray a 9x13 baking pan with cooking spray. Line the bottom with parchment paper.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the coconut flour, cinnamon, soda, and salt. Set aside.
- In a larger bowl, mix the almond butter bananas, eggs, honey, vanilla, vinegar and coconut oil. (The coconut oil is optional. We often make it without and it doesn't affect the moisture of the cake much.) Mix using a hand mixer until well combined.
- Add the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients and mix until combined.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and spread evenly.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes or until the cake is done. The cake should rise slightly and look golden brown.
- Allow the cake to cool for 15 minutes, then cut and serve warm if you'd like.
- Optional Coconut Cream: Open the can of chilled coconut milk and scoop out the solid white cream. Place it in a bowl. Save the liquid clear milk for another purpose. Use a hand mixer to whip the cream until it is lighter in texture and creamy. Serve immediately on slices of cake.
The calories shown are based on the cake being cut into 15 pieces, with 1 serving being 1 slice of cake (without coconut cream). Since different brands of ingredients have different nutritional information, the calories shown are just an estimate.