What’s better than chocolate frosting? Dark Chocolate Buttercream Frosting with real dark chocolate whipped into every bite. You may also love our chocolate cherry frosting!
Dark Chocolate Buttercream Frosting
I’m a sucker for chocolate frosting. Creamy and smooth, homemade frosting trumps storebought every time. If you love chocolate intensely, you’ll want to try this chocolate buttercream frosting.
How to Make Dark Chocolate Buttercream
We take our favorite chocolate frosting recipe and drizzle some high-quality dark chocolate into it as we beat it. It’s like eating a melted candy bar, whipped and swirled onto your favorite cupcakes or cakes.
Here’s what to do:
- Whip the butter until it is almost white in appearance.
- Add in the powdered sugar and cocoa.
- Then add the salt and vanilla.
- Mix in the heavy cream one tablespoon at a time until the frosting is the texture you’d like.
- Drizzle in the melted chocolate very slowly while beating the frosting.
This is what you end up with:
OTHER FROSTING RECIPES
TOOLS TO MAKE THIS FROSTING
- Hand mixer: I don’t pull out my stand mixer for this recipe. It makes a small amount so a hand mixer works perfectly.
- Straight Icing Spatula: The long straight spatula makes it easy to smooth frosting.
Prep Time 10 minutes
Total Time 10 minutes
In a stand mixer using the whisk attachment, cream the butter for 2-3 minutes until it is almost white in appearance.
Add the powdered sugar and cocoa powder, 1 cup at a time, while mixing on low speed. Cover the mixer with a dish towel, if needed, to prevent powdered sugar from blowing out of the bowl.
Add in the salt and vanilla. Continue mixing on low and add the heavy cream, one tablespoon at a time.
With the mixer still running, drizzle in the melted chocolate, allowing it to mix in completely. Turn the mixer to medium and beat for 1-3 minutes, until the buttercream is light and fluffy.
Store in an airtight container.
The calories shown are based on the frosting making enough to put a decent-size frosting swirl on 15 cupcakes or for frosting 1 9x13 cake. 1 serving is 1/15 of the frosting recipe. Since different brands of ingredients have different nutritional information, the calories shown are just an estimate.
Calories: 284kcal | Carbohydrates: 33g | Protein: 1g | Fat: 17g | Saturated Fat: 10g | Cholesterol: 38mg | Sodium: 189mg | Potassium: 104mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 29g | Vitamin A: 435IU | Calcium: 15mg | Iron: 1.3mg