If you like strawberries, you’ll quickly fall for this easy strawberry buttercream made simply with strawberry jam for a delicious strawberry flavor.
Nothing says summer like a fresh cake with strawberry buttercream. Homemade strawberry buttercream can be tricky to make if you are using fresh strawberries, but this easy strawberry buttercream recipe is about as quick as you can get using a shortcut!
Strawberry jam gives this strawberry frosting it’s pink color and strawberry flavor. I like to use Welch’s Natural Strawberry Spread because of the flavor. Smucker’s Simply Fruit is a great option, too! The frosting has a very light pink color, but if you’d like it a brighter pink, you can simply add a drop of red food coloring. Be careful…it doesn’t take much to deepen the pink color.
What is this easy strawberry buttercream good on?
Looking for a 100% from scratch strawberry cake with frosting using fresh berries? Try this one!
Easy Strawberry Buttercream Recipe
- 1 cup butter softened
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup strawberry jam
- Red food coloring optional
- 1-2 tablespoons heavy cream if needed to make the icing more spreadable
- In a stand mixer bowl, with the mixer on medium speed, whip the butter for 2 minutes until it is almost white in color.
- Add in the powdered sugar, vanilla flavoring, and strawberry jam. (If you'd like a pinker color, this is where you'd add in a drop of food coloring.
- Beat on low speed for 2-3 minutes. If the frosting is too stiff for spreading, you can add in a tablespoon more of jam or a tablespoon of heavy cream.
- Spread the buttercream on the cooled cupcakes with a knife, or use Wilton tip 1M to pipe on a swirl of frosting.