Creamy, melt-in-your-mouth chocolate frosting. This is the recipe for the best chocolate buttercream frosting, perfect for piping cakes and cupcakes.
Chocolate Buttercream Frosting Recipe
Everyone needs a classic homemade chocolate buttercream frosting recipe in their recipe box. One that is creamy, smooth, able to be piped on cakes and cupcakes. But most importantly, that chocolate frosting needs to taste amazing.
How to Make Chocolate Frosting
Homemade frosting is easy to make if you follow the directions carefully. We highly recommend a stand mixer, but a hand mixer will do. Mixing only by hand won’t give you a very fluffy frosting.
Here are a few hints:
- Soften the butter, but don’t melt it. If the butter is melted, it will change the texture of the frosting.
- Whip the butter until it is almost white in appearance before adding the other ingredients.
- Use heavy cream (rather than milk) for the creamiest, richest frosting. The thick heavy cream also helps you to not accidentally make the frosting too runny.
- Add the cream 1 tablespoon at a time until you’ve achieved the desired texture.
Tools for Making Homemade Buttercream
- Stand Mixer: For creaming that butter to an almost-white consistency and for whipping in the cream to make fluffy frosting.
- Cacao Powder: You can use store-bought cocoa powder, but I 100% love this all-natural cacao powder. It makes the frosting have a deep, rich chocolate flavor.
What Cakes are Best with Chocolate Frosting
We love this frosting on:
Chocolate Buttercream Frosting
- 1 cup butter (softened)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 4 tablespoons heavy cream
- In a stand mixer with the beater blade, beat the butter for 1-2 minutes until it is smooth, creamy and nearly white in appearance.
- Add in the salt and vanilla. Mix until incorporated.
- With the mixer on low speed, slowly add in the powdered sugar and cocoa powder.
- Add the heavy cream, a tablespoon at a time, mixing slowly until it is the consistency that you'd like.
- Beat for 1 minute on medium speed until smooth and creamy.
The calories shown are based on 1/15 of the frosting. Since different brands of ingredients have different nutritional information, the calories shown are just an estimate.