Potato flakes and sour cream keep this Chocolate Potato Cake extra moist! Make this rum glazed bundt cake a day in advance since it tastes better as it sits.
Chocolate Potato Cake
Potatoes…in a cake? You bet!
This chocolate bundt cake has a tender, moist crumb and is made just a little extra special with this chocolate rum glaze. It makes a simple, yet pretty presentation for special occasions but is easy enough for every day.
Chocolate Bundt Cake
Bundt cakes are one of the easiest cakes to make. It’s important that you use both shortening and flour when you grease the pan. Or even better…use cake release. This will ensure your cake comes out of the pan perfectly every time.
Make Ahead Cake
The potato flakes and the sour cream add both moisture and flavor to this chocolate cake. Many times bundt cakes are better as they sit, and this is one of those cakes! Yes, it’s good right from the oven, but if you need to plan ahead and get some baking done in advance, this is the cake you need. Just be sure you store it in an airtight container overnight.
Chocolate Rum Glaze
The quick glaze for this cake adds sweetness and flavor. It’s a simple mixture of powdered sugar, cocoa powder, water and rum. If you use rum extract, start with one teaspoon and add a little more if you’d like. If you are using rum, about 1 tablespoon should give you good flavor.
Drizzle the glaze over the cooled cake for a pretty look.
Tools to Make this Bundt Cake
- Cocoa Powder: We love this raw cacao powder for baking. A guilt-free superfood.
- Hand mixer: I don’t pull out my stand mixer for this recipe. It makes a small amount so a hand mixer works perfectly.
- Classic Bundt Pan: A nice, heavy bundt pan is the start to any good bundt cake.
- Bundt Cake Carrier: Store your cake in this carrier to keep it fresh and easy to transport!
Chocolate Potato Cake
For the Cake
- 4 ounces semi-sweet chocolate (broken into pieces)
- 1 cup dried mashed potato flakes
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/4 cups granulated sugar
- 1 1/4 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon rum extract (optional)
- 1-2 tablespoons hot water
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease and flour a 10" bundt pan.
- Place the 4 ounces of chocolate pieces and the potato flakes in a large bowl.
- Pour the hot water over the chocolate and potato flakes. Allow it to sit for 2-3 minutes until the potatoes soften and the chocolate melts. Mix well.
- Add the remaining cake ingredients and blend with a hand mixer on medium low speed for about 3 minutes, scraping the bowl as needed.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan. Bake for 50-55 minutes or until the top springs back when you touch it.
- Allow the cake to cool for 30 minutes, then remove it from the pan, turning it out onto a cake plate to allow it to cool completely.
- In a small bowl, combine the powdered sugar and cocoa powder. Add the rum extract (or 1 tablespoon rum) and 1 tablespoon hot water. Mix well, adding in an additional tablespoon of hot water if needed to drizzle.
- Drizzle the chocolate glaze over the cooled cake.
- Store the cake in an airtight container at room temperature.
The calories shown are based on the cake being cut into 12 pieces, with 1 serving being 1 slice of cake. Since different brands of ingredients have different nutritional information, the calories shown are just an estimate.