Use garden zucchini in this easy 9×13 chocolate zucchini cake recipe. Top with easy fudge sauce or your favorite chocolate frosting.
Chocolate Zucchini Cake
What to do with all of the fresh garden zucchini that you are harvesting in full force right now?
Sure, you can make stir-frys and zucchini chips, but there’s not much more delicious than a homemade chocolate cake with zucchini.
This easy chocolate zucchini cake is extra moist from buttermilk, oil and the zucchini itself. It’s a thick cake made rich by the butter that is blended into the batter.
It’s a simple cake made in a 9×13 baking pan that makes it idea for taking to picnics and potlucks.
And to top the cake?
I was looking for something a little bit different than the traditional whipped chocolate frosting. If you love frosting, that is definitely the way to go, but I wanted something a little fudgier in flavor. I decided to top the cake with a rich chocolate sauce that is easy to make.
This fudge sauce is made with sweetened condensed milk, butter, a touch of vanilla and unsweetened chocolate. The chocolate melts right in to create a creamy, rich fudge sauce.
Make this fudge sauce in advance. It will get thicker as it cools. I like to make it ahead of time and pop it into the fridge. You can either spread the “frosting” on the cake as I show here…
Or you can serve the cake “naked” and spoon the fudge sauce frosting over each individual piece.
Even better? Serve with ice cream and let that fudge sauce drip over the cake and the frosting.
Chocolate Zucchini Cake
- 1/2 cup butter softened
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 cups shredded zucchini
- 1/2 cup mini chocolate chips optional
For the Fudge Sauce
- 28 ounces sweetened condensed milk
- 1/4 cup butter softened
- 4 ounces unsweetened chocolate
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
Make the fudge sauce in advance.
- Heat the sweetened condensed milk in the microwave for 2 minutes.
- Add the butter and unsweetened chocolate to the condensed milk and stir until creamy and smooth.
- Add the vanilla extract and stir again.
- Place the fudge sauce in the refrigerator until you are ready to use it.
For the cake:
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees.
- Cream together the butter, oil and sugar.
- Add the eggs, vanilla and buttermilk. Beat well.
- In another bowl, mix together the dry ingredients and add them to the creamed mixture. Beat well.
- Stir in the shredded zucchini.
- Sprinkle the top of the cake with chocolate chips (optional).
- Pour into a greased 9x13 baking pan and bake for 40-45 minutes or until the center of the cake bounces back when you touch it.
- Allow the cake to cool, then top with fudge sauce.