Moist, flavorful and perfect with your morning cup of coffee this Delicious Cherry Coffee Cake with Crumb Topping is easy and tasty!
I adore cherries and when it comes in cake form I’m 100% sold! Signed, sealed, delivered I’m addicted hands down!
This cake whips up so quick and it’s perfect for any time if day! It will quickly become a favorite cake for everyone to enjoy. Plus, there’s extra cherry filling to put on top. What more could you ask for?!
What Is The Best Way To Eat Dessert For Breakfast?
The answer we’re going to say, of course, is COFFEE CAKE. Listen – it’s literally just like eating cake for breakfast – but in a socially acceptable way! Plus, this cherry coffee cake is moist and just dense enough to create the perfect texture. Now that you’re convinced, let’s talk more about what’s in this delicious cake.
What You’ll Love About This Cherry Coffee Cake:
- This is a sour cream cake. Which means it’s not going to be sickeningly sweet, and it has this incredibly tang that is literally just there to keep you addicted. Before you know it, you’re through 3 pieces.
- It has streusel on the bottom and throughout the middle of the cake. That means that you’ll get delicious cinnamon almond goodness with every bite!
- It has homemade sour cherry preserves, which by the way, are SO easy to make. Plus, you’ll have leftovers to pour on top of your cake (which just makes the cake even BETTER).
- It’s good for a few days. Because it’s a dense cake, it’ll increase in flavor as it sits for the next couple of days. You’ll want to have it covered in plastic wrap or an airtight container, but this cake will amaze you even after the first day!
How To Make Cherry Preserves:
The cherry preserve recipe for this Almond Cherry Coffee Cake makes a small batch and only includes a few ingredients! You’ll need a can of sour cherries, sugar, cornstarch, and butter. It just takes a few minutes over the stovetop for it to thicken, and then you’re good to go!!
Tips For A Perfect Bundt Cake:
This bundt cake is super simple but here are a few things that will help you make it amazing:
- Mix ingredients well. Making sure there are no clumps in your batter will help your cake turn out even better!!
- Grease your pan well. We have a cake release recipe that will help your cakes come out easily, every time!!
- When putting in the cherry filling, make a well in the batter and carefully pour the cherries into the well. You’ll want to use half (or even one-quarter) of the cherries so that they don’t spread and stick to the sides of the pan!
- Let the bundt cake cool and and use a knife to scrape the sides of the pan, making sure that the cake doesn’t stick. This will help your cake come out perfectly every time!!
How To Make A Streusel Topping
- Combine almonds, brown sugar, and cinnamon together in a bowl, using one half for the middle layer of the cake and the other half for after adding all of the batter.
- Streusel is sometimes a simple nut/sugar/cinnamon mixture, but it also occasionally uses butter to make more of a crumble! Regardless, it’s so easy and you can also make extra to put on top if you’d like!
How To Make A Simple Glaze
Glaze is so simple, you’ll wonder why you ever avoided making it! It’s the perfect cake topper when you don’t know what else to do. Just mix together some powdered sugar, vanilla, and heavy cream and you’ll have a delicious glaze that helps lock in the cake’s moisture.
Almond Cherry Coffee Cake
For The Cake:
- 1 cup butter
- 2 cups white sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup sour cream
- ½ teaspoon almond extract
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
For The Streusel
- ½ cup almonds
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
For the Glaze:
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- ¼ teaspoon almond extract
- 3-4 tablespoons heavy cream
For The Cherry Filling:
- 14.5 ounces sour cherries (drained) (1 can)
- ½ cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon butter
For the cherry filling:
- Add the drained cherries, sugar, and cornstarch in a saucepan over medium heat and let simmer for 5 minutes or until the mixture has thickened.
- Add the butter in after taking the mixture off of the heat and set aside.
For the cake:
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour a tube/bundt pan.
- In a large bowl, cream together the butter, sugar and eggs. Fold in the sour cream and vanilla carefully. Add the dry ingredients and mix well.
- Spoon half of the batter into the prepared pan. Make a well in the center of the batter all around the pan. Then spoon in the cherry pie filling being as careful as possible to keep it in the center.
- In a small bowl, combine the streusel ingredients. Sprinkle the streusel over the batter/cherries.
- Spoon the remaining batter over the streusel.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 50-55 minutes (55), or until a toothpick inserted in the cake comes out clean.
- Allow the cake to cool for at least 15 minutes. Using a knife, loosen the edges of the cake from the pan.
- Turn the cake out onto a plate. Cover until serving.
- This cake is best when made the day before serving.
- To make the powdered sugar glaze, simply whisk the 3 glaze ingredients together, adding enough cream to make the glaze able to be drizzled. Drizzle over the cooled cake.