A deliciously fresh cake recipe that is perfect for warmer weather! Make this easy Cherry Pineapple Punch Bowl Cake recipe your go-to dessert for summer entertaining!
This Cherry Pineapple Punch Bowl Cake is the perfect recipe to feed a crowd for summer barbecues, picnics, and parties. The red and yellow colors blend together in a trifle dish, making this a beautiful dessert that couldn’t be easier to make!
Guests will love the tangy/sweet flavors of the cake, fruit, and Cool Whip combo that melts in the mouth. You’ll love that this recipe uses cake and pudding mix from a box, making it extremely easy to make and serve!
What is Punch Bowl Cake?
Served in a traditional punch bowl or trifle dish, this delicious dessert is just like its name. Layers of cake, cherries, pineapple, and Cool Whip fill your punch bowl for a dessert that will please a crowd!
Best of all, you can prepare it in advance and let it cool before your summer event.
Much like icebox desserts, this punch bowl cake comes together with simple ingredients, making it an elegant dessert that is great for gatherings!
How to Make Cherry Pineapple Punch Bowl Cake
- Bake. Bake the cake according to the directions on the cake box.
- Make. Make the pudding according to the directions on the pudding box.
- Prepare. Drain the pineapple well.
- Assemble. Now it’s time to put together the layers of your cake. Grab your punchbowl or large trifle dish and crumble half of the cake into the bottom.
- Layer. Follow by spreading half the pudding over the cake, half of the pineapple over the pudding, one can of cherry pie filling over the pineapple, and half of the Cool Whip over the cherry pie filling.
- Repeat. Repeat the layers: cake crumble, pudding, pineapple, cherry pie filling and Cool Whip.
- Top it. Sprinkle the top with chopped pecans.
- Cover. Cover and refrigerate until serving.
Here is the order of the layers, starting from the bottom:
- ½ of the cake, crumbled
- ½ of the pudding mixture
- ½ of the crushed pineapple
- 1 can of cherry pie filling
- ½ of the Cool Whip
- Remainder of the cake crumble
- Rest of the pudding mixture
- Final crushed pineapple
- Second can of cherry pie filling
- Remainder of Cool Whip
- Topped with chopped pecans
You’ll have 11 layers total of goodness that will melt in your mouth!
What You’ll Love About this Cake
There’s a lot to love about this punch bowl cake! Here are some of my favorite things:
- It only requires six ingredients.
- Box cake mix and box pudding make this recipe so easy to put together.
- The bright colors of the pineapple and cherries layered together make this a recipe that presents beautifully.
- Feed a crowd easily with this simple dessert!
- Easy to modify. See our modification options below to make this dessert gluten-free or a lower calorie option.
What Brands of Cake and Pudding Should I Use?
You can use any brand of cake mix or pudding mix for this. Even a gluten-free cake mix will work to make this recipe gluten-free.
Lower Calorie Options
Make this dessert lower calorie / lower sugar by making simple modifications. Choose a few of these modifications, or make them all, depending on your preference.
Here are the swaps you can make to create a lighter version of the cake:
- Sugar-free pudding. Reduce sugar content by using sugar-free pudding.
- Sugar free cake mix. Reduce sugar content by using sugar-free boxed cake mix.
- No Sugar Added pie filling. Reduce sugar content by using no-sugar added cherry pie filling.
- Fat-free or sugar-free Cool Whip. Reduce sugar and/or fat content by swapping out a lighter version of Cool Whip.
Cherry Pineapple Punch Bowl Cake
- 1 box yellow cake mix (prepared according to package directions)
- 5.1 ounces vanilla instant pudding (1 large box, prepared according to package directions)
- 3.4 ounces vanilla instant pudding (1 small box, prepared according to package directions)
- 40 ounces crushed pineapple (drained) (2 cans)
- 21 ounces cherry pie filling (2 cans)
- 16 ounces Cool Whip
- ½ cup chopped pecans
- Bake the cake according to box directions.
- Make the pudding (both large and small boxes) according to box directions.
- Drain the pineapple well.
- In a punchbowl or large trifle dish*, crumble half of the cake into the bottom.
- Spread half of the pudding over the cake.
- Spread half of the pineapple over the pudding.
- Spread one can of cherry pie filling over the pineapple.
- Spread half of the Cool Whip over the cherry pie filling.
- Repeat the layers.
- Sprinkle the top with chopped pecans.
- Cover and refrigerate until serving.