If you’re looking for an easy Mother’s Day Cake, try this jazzed up box cake mix with fresh strawberry buttercream. Make strawberry roses to decorate the top!
Mother’s Day Cake Recipe
Spring is in full swing which means strawberry season is coming..along with Mother’s Day! This pretty strawberry cake starts with a box cake mix and homemade fresh strawberry buttercream, then is topped with strawberry roses. It would be a great project for making with the kids this spring!
How to Make A Box Cake Better
This cake is made from a jazzed up box cake mix. If you’d like a homemade white cake, try this one. But so often you can take a shortcut and use a box cake mix with a few different ingredients to make it taste better. Here are our hints for making a box cake mix taste homemade:
- Replace any oil with butter. Use equal amounts, but add in softened butter instead of oil. This will give the cake a better taste.
- Replace any water with milk. I like using whole milk, but you can use any type of milk you keep on hand.
- This recipe calls for egg whites to keep the color bright white, but in general, you can add an extra egg to box cake mixes to make it richer and softer.
Fresh Strawberry Frosting
Fresh strawberry buttercream…there’s not much better than that! You’ll want to plan ahead when you make the buttercream. You’ll make a strawberry puree reduction which needs to be completely cooled before you add it to the powdered sugar and butter.
- Take 1 cup of chopped strawberries and place them in a small saucepan over medium-low heat. Cook the strawberries down until they are down to about half what they were, so about half a cup or a little less. This will take about 20 minutes or so depending on how high you have the heat. Once the strawberry puree is reduced, remove it from the heat and allow it to cool completely. If it is warm at all, it will melt the butter when you try mixing it into the powdered sugar and butter mixture, making the frosting too runny.
- For that reason, I like to make this puree the day before I made the frosting. Then I store it in the fridge and it is nice and cool for adding it to the frosting!
How to Make a Strawberry Rose
Serve this cake as it is, or make cute little roses from strawberries! To do this, wash and dry the strawberries. Cut off the stem. Starting at the base of the strawberry, make small slices around the base of the strawberry. Using the knife, push the slice outwards carefully to create a petal. Proceed to create slices, going up towards the tip of the strawberry and push them outwards as well. The most important thing is to be careful and precise with your cuts so that the strawberry stays in one piece.16
Other Strawberry Cakes
Tools to Make This Cake
Must Have Cake Mix Recipes! Sometimes you need a shortcut. Just because time is in limited supply, it doesn’t mean that flavor and fun have to be! Our cookbook has 20 cakes and cupcakes that all start with a cake mix but end up as a beautiful dessert no one will be able to resist. Click here to read about it!
Prep Time 30 minutes
Cook Time 30 minutes
Total Time 1 hour
For the Strawberry Puree
- 1 cup chopped fresh strawberries
- 6-8 Fresh strawberries for garnish
Prepare the Strawberry Puree
Make the Cake
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease 2 9-inch round cake pans with shortening and then dust with flour.
In a large bowl, combine the cake mix, butter, eggs and milk. Mix for 2-3 minutes at medium speed. Bake for 22-30 minutes or until the center of the cake bounces back when you touch it.
Allow the cakes to cool for 10 minutes in the pans, then turn them out onto wire racks to cool completely.
Prepare the Strawberry Decorations
Prepare the garnish strawberries by making a small slice, several times, around the base of the strawberry. Using the knife, push the slice outwards to create a petal. Proceed to create slices, going up towards the tip of the strawberry and push them outwards as well. Remove the greens and set aside.
Assemble the Cake
Once the cake is done cooling, place one cake layer on a cake plate. Frost the top. Place the second cake layer on the first layer. Frost the top and sides of the cake with the remaining frosting.
Garnish the top with your strawberry roses.
Store at room temperature for 24 hours, then refrigerate any leftovers in an airtight container.
The calories shown are based on the cake being cut into 15 pieces (using all of the frosting), with 1 serving being 1 slice of cake. Since different brands of ingredients have different nutritional information, the calories shown are just an estimate.
Calories: 415kcal | Carbohydrates: 61g | Protein: 2g | Fat: 18g | Saturated Fat: 11g | Cholesterol: 45mg | Sodium: 401mg | Potassium: 79mg | Sugar: 47g | Vitamin A: 530IU | Vitamin C: 8.5mg | Calcium: 101mg | Iron: 0.8mg