Only 10 minutes of prep time and this easy Gingerbread Snack Cake is in the oven. Make a streusel to use in the cake and then sprinkle the rest on top for a sugary crust!
Gingerbread Snack Cake Recipe
During the holiday season, I take gingerbread and molasses flavor any way I can get it! This easy gingerbread snack cake is small which makes it perfect for an afternoon snack or for breakfast or brunch.
Gingerbread Crumb Cake
So what’s unique about this recipe? You’ll mix up a buttery sugar crumb mixture and use some of it for the base of the cake recipe and the rest as the topping for the cake. It bakes into a buttery, sugary crust on top of the cake for an extra touch of sweetness. Just look at that crumb topping!
What gives gingerbread its flavor?
Gingerbread traditionally has cinnamon and of course ginger! Sometimes you’ll find nutmeg and sometimes allspice or cloves. But ginger and cinnamon combined with molasses gives you that amazing gingerbread flavor.
How to Store Cake
This cake is best stored at room temperature in a sealed container. There’s no need to refrigerate it. It makes a small cake, but if you have leftovers, you can easily freeze this cake. It stays moist and tastes delicious once defrosted.
Looking for a fancier two layer gingerbread cake? This one here is gorgeous!
Gingerbread Snack Cake
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons powdered ginger
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 cup butter
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg (beaten)
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- In a medium size bowl, mix together the flour, sugar, ginger and cinnamon. Cut in the butter and mix into the dry ingredients to make fine crumbs. Take out 1/2 cup crumbs and set them aside so you can sprinkle them on top of the cake batter.
- To the remaining crumbs, add the egg, molasses, salt, baking soda and buttermilk. Mix until the ingredients are well blended and the batter is smooth.
- Pour the batter into a greased, parchment paper or foil lined 8x8 pan.
- Sprinkle the remaining crumbs on top of the batter.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 40-45 minutes, or until a knife inserted into the cake comes out clean.
The calories shown are based on the cake being cut into 12 pieces, with 1 serving being 1 slice of cake. Since different brands of ingredients have different nutritional information, the calories shown are just an estimate. **We are not dietitians and recommend you seek a nutritionist for exact nutritional information.**