Layers of chocolate, ricotta and frosting this Italian Love Cake absolutely lives up to its name for so many glorious reasons.
ITALIAN LOVE CAKE
Hey guys, Alli here from Tornadough Alli. I hope you’ve been enjoying our full length recipes that we’ve been mixing in with some amazing cakes that we find from fellow bloggers like us. I seriously can’t get enough of all these cakes we have been seeing all these lovely bloggers create, just in awe!
I have been making this Italian Love Cake for many years and it has quickly become a family favorite and loved so much that it’s always requested to be brought to our family get togethers.
With its “magic” layers this cake is full of delicious surprises. Starting off with an easy chocolate cake mix, it’s layered with a sweet and creamy ricotta cheese mixture and topped with a pudding and whipped cream frosting.
Where does the magic happen? Well it happens when the cake is baked! The chocolate and ricotta layers switch places when baking! Say what?!?! Yes!!
The ricotta mixture sinks as it bakes because of its dense texture and creates fun cheesecake like swirls in the chocolate layer making it a fun and tasty surprise with every single bite. Serious so good.
But this super simple frosting is what really, well….tops the cake! Pudding milk and cool whip are mixed and folded together to create a fun and utterly delicious frosting that is light, fluffy and down right tasty!
Let this bad boy chill for 6-8 hours or overnight and you have yourself the most perfect that EASY party cake every. Trust me, everyone will flock to have a piece and you’ll be sent home with an empty pan.
Italian Love Cake
- 1 box chocolate cake mix (and ingredients called for on back)
- 2 lbs whole milk ricotta cheese
- 4 eggs
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla paste
- 1 (5.1 oz) pkg instant chocolate pudding
- 1 cup milk
- 8 oz whipped cream
- Preheat oven to 350.
- In bowl mix together your cake mix ingredients and pour into a prepared 9"x13" cake pan, set aside.
- In another bowl beat together your ricotta, eggs, sugar and vanilla paste until combined.
- Pour over your chocolate cake mix, spreading out over the top as evenly as you can.
- Bake for about 1 hour or until center is set, remove and cool.
- Once cooled, in another bowl mix together your pudding and milk until combined.
- Fold in your whipped cream until combined.
- Spread over cooled cake.
- Refrigerate for 6-8 hours or overnight for best results.