Looking for an easy dessert that will make a grand impression? Try this semi-homemade red velvet bundt cake with a cream cheese glaze. There are chocolate chips in every bite!
Red Velvet Bundt Cake
Red velvet cakes have always impressed me. Whether it is their gorgeous deep red color or the unmistakeable cocoa flavor, red velvet has me wrapped around its little finger.
This red velvet bundt cake is no exception. It starts with a boxed cake mix and gets a little extra flair from a pudding mix and sour cream. The chocolate pudding adds a touch more cocoa flavor and the sour cream makes the cake extra moist.
Don’t be ashamed to use a cake mix when you bake. They make the perfect start to all kinds of creative new recipes.
How to Remove Cake from Bundt Pan
Bundt cakes can often be intimidating because you are depending on them coming cleanly out of the bundt pan. What is the easiest way to do this? To ensure easy cake removal, simply grease the bundt cake pan with shortening, then dust it with all-purpose flour. Do both. Don’t skip one or the other. The combination of both shortening and flour allow for a clean release. If you own a beautiful, intricate pan like this one, be sure to grease it well and get the shortening and flour in each crevice of the pan.
Cream Cheese Glaze
Don’t you love the contrast of the white cream cheese glaze against the red velvet? It makes it perfect for Christmas, Valentine’s Day, or just for the red velvet lover in your life.
Make this glaze quickly with cream cheese, powdered sugar, vanilla and milk. Add milk a tablespoon at a time until you get it to the drizzling consistency that you’d like.
Once you have the glaze made, drizzle away until you have the look you’d like!
Tools Needed to Make this Cake
- Nordic Ware Heritage Bundt Pan: This is my favorite bundt cake pan to use when I have a drizzle to put overtop the cake. Just gorgeous!
- Stand Mixer: A hand mixer will work, but I always find it easier to make cake batter with a stand mixer.
- Bundt Cake Carrier: Store your cake in this carrier to keep it fresh and easy to transport!
- 16.5 ounces Red Velvet Cake box mix
- 3.9 ounces Instant Chocolate Pudding Mix
- 4 large Eggs
- ½ cup Water
- 1 cup Semi sweet chocolate chips or any flavor of your liking
- 1 cup Sour Cream
Cream Cheese Glaze
- 4 ounces Cream Cheese
- ½ cup Powdered Sugar
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 3-4 tablespoons Milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the cake mix, instant pudding, sour cream, eggs and water. Mix until well combined, about 2 minutes on medium speed.
- Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Prepare a bundt pan by coating the inside of the pan with shortening, then sprinkling flour over the shortening. Gently tap the pan upside down over the sink to get rid of any excess flour.
- Pour the cake batter into the prepared pan.
- Bake for 45 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool in the pan for 10 minutes, then turn the cake out onto a cooling rack and allow cooling completely. Don’t allow it to cool too much longer in the pan; you might have problems getting it out without sticking.
- While cooling, prepare the cream cheese glaze.
- In a bowl, with a mixer or an electric mixer, beat the cream cheese until it’s smooth and creamy. Slowly, add in the powdered sugar until combined. Then add in the vanilla and milk. Mix until well combined. If you want a thinner glaze, add a tiny bit more milk.
- Once cooled completely, drizzle the cream cheese glaze over the cake to your liking.
- Store in an airtight container.