Looking for an easy breakfast cake? Try this Best Ever Coffee Cake. It’s a yellow cake base with a cinnamon sugar nut streusel. Remember the buttery glaze for the top!
Best Ever Coffee Cake Recipe
My mother-in-law gave me the recipe for this cake years ago. She made it on one of our family vacations and it has been a favorite of mine ever since!
Does coffee cake have coffee in it?
Not usually, no, although there may be some that you’ll find coffee in. Coffee cakes are cakes that are great for breakfast alongside a cup of coffee. Or tea…or even hot chocolate.
How do you make a box cake mix taste like a bakery?
Cake mixes can be a great easy way to make a cake. So how do you switch up the ingredients just a bit to give box mixes a better flavor? Each cake mix may call for different ingredient amounts but in general you can often add an extra egg, switch out the oil for butter and switch out the water for some milk. All three of these options add flavor to a cake mix.
For this recipe, disregard what is on the back of the cake mix box and add a box of pudding (just dry…don’t make the pudding!), eggs, oil, water, vanilla and butter extract. The recipe has just a hint of butter extract but it really deepens the flavor of the cake. Don’t skip it!
Cinnamon Streusel Topping
Mix up the streusel and sprinkle half of the streusel on the bottom of the baking pan. Then pour in the cake batter. Top the cake batter with the remaining sugar streusel. For this streusel we use granulated sugar but you can use a mix of brown sugar and white sugar if you’d like.
Powdered Sugar Glaze
Powdered sugar glaze is one of the easiest ways to add a touch of flavor and a pretty look to baked goods. This glaze is simply powdered sugar, milk and butter extract. Use a whisk to mix up the glaze and then drizzle it on the cooled cake.
Other Coffee Cake Recipes
Best Ever Coffee Cake
For the Streusel:
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1 ½ tablespoons cinnamon
For the Cake:
- 1 box yellow cake mix
- 3 ounce package instant vanilla pudding (dry mix)
- 4 large eggs
- ¾ cup oil
- ¾ cup water
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ⅛ teaspoon butter extract
For the Drizzle:
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 3 tablespoons milk
- ⅛ teaspoon butter extract
Make the streusel:
- In a small bowl, mix together the sugar, pecans and cinnamon. Set aside.
Make the cake:
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Whisk together the yellow cake mix and the pudding mix.
- Add the eggs, oil, water and extracts.
- Use a hand mixer to mix well, about 2 minutes.
- Grease a 9x13 baking pan with cooking spray.
- Sprinkle half of the streusel in the bottom of the prepared pan.
- Pour the cake batter over the streusel.
- Sprinkle the remaining streusel on top of the cake batter.
- Bake for 40 minutes or until the center of the cake springs back when you touch it.
Make the drizzle:
- In a small bowl, whisk together the powdered sugar, milk and extract.
- Keep whisking until smooth.
- Drizzle the glaze over the cooled cake.