Sour cream keeps this coffee cake thick, rich and moist. You’ll love the sugar & nut streusel swirl baked inside this Sour Cream Coffee Cake. A great make-ahead breakfast or brunch cake. You may also like our Peach Coffee Cake and Chocolate Potato Cake!
Sour Cream Coffee Cake Recipe
Cake and coffee. They just go together, right? This easy coffee cake is a recipe I remember my mom making often as I grew up. It’s a thick, rich cake with a cinnamon streusel swirl in the center. You’ll love that this cake takes no time at all to whip up!
Easy Sour Cream Coffee Cake
This delicious breakfast cake has a rich flavor from both the butter and the sour cream. If you’d like you can switch out the sour cream for Greek yogurt. It works beautifully! Don’t forget the powdered sugar glaze on top. It adds just a little bit of sweetness to an otherwise not-very-sweet cake. You can leave it off if you’d like, but we recommend it.
The cinnamon streusel inside this cake is made of cinnamon, brown sugar and walnuts. You can use different nuts if you’d like…think pecans or even almonds. You can even add in a little pumpkin spice mix in place of the cinnamon for a different flavor.
Make Ahead Breakfast Bundt Cake
This sour cream coffee cake is best when made the day before you’d like to serve it. As the cake sits, it softens a bit and almost becomes more moist. You’ll be able to taste the flavor more if the cake sits overnight. This makes this cake ideal for serving to guests because you don’t have to be in the kitchen the morning you want to serve the cake.
Other Coffee Cake Recipes
- Blueberry Streusel Coffee Cake
- Cream Filled Coffee Cake
- Orange Raisin Coffee Cake
- Buttermilk Coffee Cake
Tools Needed To Make This Cake
- Nordic Ware Heritage Bundt Pan: This is my favorite bundt cake pan to use when I have a drizzle to put overtop the cake. Just gorgeous!
- Stand Mixer: A hand mixer will work, but I always find it easier to make cake batter with a stand mixer.
- Bundt Cake Carrier: Store your cake in this carrier to keep it fresh and easy to transport!
Sour Cream Coffee Cake
- 1 cup butter (softened)
- 2 cups white sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
Powdered Sugar Glaze (optional):
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 3-4 tablespoons heavy cream
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour a tube/bundt pan.
- In a large bowl, cream together the butter, sugar and eggs. Fold in the sour cream and vanilla carefully. Add the dry ingredients and mix well.
- Spoon half of the batter into the prepared pan.
- In a small bowl, combine the streusel ingredients. Sprinkle the streusel over the batter.
- Spoon the remaining batter over the streusel.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 50-55 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the cake comes out clean.
- Allow the cake to cool for at least 35 minutes. Using a knife, loosen the edges of the cake from the pan.
- Turn the cake out onto a plate. Cover until serving.
- This cake is best when made the day before serving.
- **If you'd like to serve the cake with the powdered sugar glaze, simply whisk the 3 glaze ingredients together, adding enough cream to make the glaze able to be drizzled. Drizzle over the cooled cake.