Whipped ganache fills this chocolate strawberry cake roll! This from-scratch roll cake makes an easy, but beautiful presentation. Dust with cocoa & powdered sugar and top with strawberries.
Chocolate Strawberry Cake Roll Recipe
For some reason I always think of cake rolls when spring rolls around. Maybe it is their versatility…or the fact that they look pretty enough to be served at a spring luncheon, bridal shower or even wedding. This cake roll boasts a from-scratch yellow cake stuffed with strawberries and whipped ganache. You’ll get creamy chocolate in every bite.
The first step in making this cake roll is to make the ganache. You’ll melt the chocolate chips in the heavy cream using a double boiler over medium heat. We’ve found this to be the easiest, no-fail method because the chocolate melts by the indirect heat.
You can also make the ganache in the microwave. Just be careful to heat the cream and melt the chocolate very slowly so that the chocolate does not seize up and burn.
Once you have the melty ganache, place the bowl in the refrigerator so that it can cool completely. Once the ganache is cool, whip it using a stand mixer or hand mixer until it light brown in color and spreadable.
How do you make a jelly roll cake?
- This cake recipe makes enough cake batter to fill a 10″x15″ jelly roll pan.
- Line the jelly roll pan with parchment paper (or foil) and then spray it with cooking spray. If you are having trouble keeping the parchment paper in place, spread a light coating of butter on one side of the paper and place the buttered side down in the pan. It will help it to “stick” into place.
- Mix the cake and bake as directed.
- Lay out a piece of parchment paper that is a little bigger than the cake itself. Sprinkle it with powdered sugar and turn the cake out onto that parchment paper.
- Peel off the parchment paper that the cake was baked on and cut off any edges of the cake that may be crispy or browned. (You have my permission to eat those scraps!)
- Roll up the cake starting on the short end and refrigerate the cake for at least 20 minutes while it cools.
- Unroll the cake once it is cool, spread it with whipped ganache and sliced strawberries, then roll it back up.
- Place the cake roll seam side down on a serving plate. Cover it with plastic wrap.
- Refrigerate the cake roll for at least 1 hour before serving.
- Before serving, sprinkle the cake roll with a mixture of powdered sugar and cocoa, then top with strawberries if desired!
Other Cake Roll Recipes
Tools to Make This Cake
- Double Boiler: If you melt chocolate to make ganache or make homemade candy often, a double boiler will be a lifesaver. Prevents burning!
- KitchenAid Stand Mixer: For whipping the ganache.
- 10″x15″ Jelly Roll Pan: For cake rolls and sheet cakes.
- Parchment Paper: To easily remove cakes for cake rolls.
- Strawberry Slicer: Get perfectly sliced strawberries to decorate your desserts.
Chocolate Strawberry Cake Roll
For the Cake:
- 3 large eggs
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup hot water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup sifted all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
For Dusting the Parchment Paper:
- ¼ cup powdered sugar
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 ½ cup chocolate chips
- 1 cup sliced strawberries
- 1 tablespoon cocoa
- 3 tablespoons powdered sugar
Prepare the Ganache:
- Combine heavy whipping cream and chocolate chips in a double boiler saucepan on the stovetop over medium low heat, stirring until smooth and chocolate has melted. Pour into a metal mixing bowl and refrigerate chocolate ganache until cold.
Make the Cake:
- Preheat oven to 375 F. Line a 10"x15" jelly roll pan with parchment paper and spray with cooking spray.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer with the whisk attachment (or using a hand mixer), beat the eggs for 5 minutes on medium speed until they are bubbly.
- While continuing to mix on low, gradually add the sugar. Then mix in water and vanilla extract.
- With the mixer still on low speed, sift in flour, baking powder and salt. Mix until well combined, scraping the bowl as needed. The batter will be thin. Pour the batter into the prepared pan.
- Bake for 7-9 minutes. Cake will be springy to the touch and start to shrink away from the sides of the pan.
- Lay out a sheet of parchment paper slightly longer than the cake and sprinkle lightly with powdered sugar. Turn the sheet cake out onto the prepared parchment paper. Peel off the parchment paper and cut away the crusty edges of the cake.
- Roll the cake up in the parchment paper sprinkled with powdered sugar. Place in the refrigerator to cool.
Assemble the Cake Roll:
- Whip the cold chocolate ganache on high in a stand mixer until cream is thick. It will be a light brown color.
- Unroll cake and spread the chocolate ganache over the cake. Add strawberry slices over the top of the chocolate.
- Tightly roll the cake back up and refrigerate for an hour before serving.
Add Cake Roll Toppings:
- Before serving, sift powdered sugar and cocoa powder over the top of the cake to garnish. Add strawberry slices if desired.
- To slice, run hot water over a knife and wipe dry before slicing straight through. Rinse in hot water and dry knife in between cutting each slice. This allows for a cleaner slice.
The calories shown are based on the cake roll being cut into 8 pieces, with 1 serving being 1 slice of cake roll. Since different brands of ingredients have different nutritional information, the calories shown are just an estimate.