Fresh and light, this strawberries & cream cake roll makes a beautiful presentation to your spring or summer party. Lightly sweet with a soft, yellow sponge cake.
I’ve been in love with the idea of cake rolls ever since the days when I ate Little Debbie Swiss Cake Rolls in the school lunchroom. I mean soft cake rolled around a sweet frosting filling? Count me in every time.
After sharing our chocolate raspberry cake roll, I thought a strawberry version needed to happen. It’s she pretty?!
Why you’ll love this recipe:
- 100% homemade
- Only takes about 9 minutes in the oven.
- Creamy cool filling that is just lightly sweet.
- Fresh berries inside and a few decorating the top.
Tips for Making a Cake Roll:
- Use the right size pan and line it with parchment paper. Use a jelly roll pan that is 10×15″. If the pan is too small the cake layer will be too thick and not roll up correctly.
- The cake batter will be very thin and it won’t look like much. But when it bakes, the cake will rise slightly. It is supposed to be a very thin cake roll though!
- Don’t overmix the batter. Especially after you add the flour. Mix just until combined and this will help the cake stay soft and tender.
- Lay out a sheet of parchment paper or a towel slightly longer than the cake and sprinkle lightly with powdered sugar. Turn the hot sheet cake out onto the prepared towel or paper. Peel off the parchment paper and cut away the crusty edges of the cake. If your cake doesn’t have any hard edges don’t worry about that step.
- Roll up the cake jelly roll style to make a long log. Do this while the cake is very hot so that it doesn’t crack.
- Allow the cake to cool rolled up at room temperature for about 2 hours.
- Then make the filling. Gently unroll the cake roll and cover the cake with the filling, then roll back up!
How to Store Cake Roll
Store the strawberries & cream cake roll covered in the refrigerator. The cake should be eaten within 3 days. I don’t recommend freezing cake rolls with fruit because it could get soggy when it thaws.
Strawberries & Cream Cake Roll
For the Cake Roll:
- 3 large eggs
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar 150 grams
- 1/3 cup hot water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup sifted all-purpose flour spooned and leveled (130 grams)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup powdered sugar for rolling the cake
For the Strawberry Filling:
- 8 ounces cream cheese room temperature
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup fresh strawberries chopped
Make the cake roll:
- Preheat oven to 375º Fahrenheit. Line a 10″x15″ jelly roll pan with parchment paper and spray with cooking spray.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer with the whisk attachment (or using a hand mixer), beat the eggs for 5 minutes on medium speed until they are bubbly.
- While continuing to mix on low, gradually add the sugar. Then mix in water and vanilla extract.
- With the mixer still on low speed, sift in flour, baking powder and salt. Mix just until combined. Do not overmix or your cake may end up tough and rubbery. The batter will be thin. Pour the batter into the prepared pan.
- Bake for 7-9 minutes. Cake will be springy to the touch and start to shrink away from the sides of the pan.
- Lay out a lint free towel or sheet of parchment paper slightly longer than the cake and sprinkle lightly with powdered sugar. Turn the hot sheet cake out onto the prepared surface. Peel off the parchment paper and cut away the crusty edges of the cake.
- Roll the cake up in the towel or parchment paper sprinkled with powdered sugar. Leave at room temperature to cool for about 2 hours.
Make the filling:
- Whip the cream cheese and powdered sugar together until well blended.
- In a clean bowl with clean beaters, whip the whipping cream and vanilla until it is fluffy and holding peaks. Then fold the whipped cream into the cream cheese.
- Unroll the cooled cake and spread the filling evenly over entire cake, making sure to get to the edges. Sprinkle with the fresh chopped strawberries.
- Roll cake back up and place on serving plate.
- Refrigerate for 2 hours or until serving.
- Dust with powdered sugar and decorate with sliced strawberries for serving.
Frequently Asked Questions
You want to make sure you roll the cake roll quickly while it is still hot. Don’t wait! Then carefully unroll it only after it has completely cooled. You have to be gentle with it.
Don’t overmix the batter once you add the flour. Just fold it in gently. This will help the texture of the cake.
It means to roll the cake lengthwise to make a circular log shape.