Easy and delicious this Easy Pumpkin Dump Cake is a fun, tasty fall dessert that whips up with no effort and will become a family favorite.
This Easy Pumpkin Dump Cake takes a classic spin on fun flavors. This isn’t your normal pumpkin cake, everything is mixed and dumped and sprinkled together and we aren’t complaining about that.
Topped with chopped pecans it really sets this cake over the top and makes this the perfect addition or alternative to your fall dessert table or Thanksgiving spread!
How to Make Easy Pumpkin Dump Cake
There are three basic steps to making this easy pumpkin dessert: Mix. Pour. Sprinkle.
- Mix. This is the pumpkin-pie like part of the recipe. In a large bowl, whisk together the pumpkin, milk, eggs, sugar, salt, cinnamon and pumpkin pie spice until well blended. Make sure the eggs are fully incorporated.
- Pour. Pour the mixture above into a greased 9×13 pan.
- Sprinkle. The rest is the “dump” part of the dump cake. Sprinkle the dry cake mix over the pumpkin. Drizzle with the melted butter. Sprinkle the pecans on top. Then sprinkle the brown sugar over the pecans.
And then you bake! This cake will take about 45 minutes to bake. You can watch the top and if it seems like it is getting too brown, cover with foil the last 10 minutes or so of baking.
How do you know when pumpkin dump cake is done? Stick a knife in the center of the cake and it should come out clean. You don’t want any gooey pumpkin batter left on the knife.
There are several things you can do to make this cake your own:
- Use low fat evaporated milk or a sugar substitute to cut calories and fat.
- Use a gluten free cake mix for a gluten free dessert.
- Use white, yellow or spice cake mix. Or if you like chocolate and pumpkin together, try chocolate cake mix!
- Use walnuts or almonds instead of pecans.
Easy Pumpkin Dump Cake
- 15 ounces solid-pack pumpkin
- 12 ounces evaporated milk
- 3 large eggs
- 3/4 cup sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 4 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 1 box butter pecan cake mix Betty Crocker (15.25 ounces)
- 1 cup unsalted butter melted
- 1-1/2 cups chopped pecans
- 2 tablespoons packed brown sugar
- Vanilla ice cream
- Preheat the oven to 350º Fahrenheit and grease a 9×13 pan with butter or cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the pumpkin, milk, eggs, sugar, salt, cinnamon and pumpkin pie spice until well blended. Make sure the eggs are fully incorporated.
- Pour the pumpkin batter into the prepared pan.
- Sprinkle the dry cake mix over the pumpkin.
- Drizzle with the melted butter.
- Sprinkle the pecans on top. Then sprinkle the brown sugar over the pecans.
- Bake for 1 hour or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Check the cake at about 45 minutes while baking. If it is getting too brown, cover with foil for the remainder of baking.
- Serve warm with ice cream or whipped cream.
- Store any leftover cake covered in the refrigerator.