Love pineapples and pecans? Then you might like this Elvis Presley Cake! It starts with a basic white cake mix, but add the pineapple topping and cream cheese frosting…you won’t be able to say no!
Elvis Presley Cake Recipe
I’m always looking for new recipes to take to potlucks and picnics. That’s what I consider today’s cake recipe…a potluck recipe. It is easy to make, yet will serve up to 15 people making it great for a gathering. It’s also very portable since it is made in a 9×13 cake pan.
Why is it called Elvis Presley Cake?
From my research, this cake is supposedly the cake that Elvis asked his grandma for the most often. Doesn’t that make it so special? I’m sure it has another name out there, but I’m sure it doesn’t mind being called the Elvis Presley Cake either!
I love recipes that start with a box cake mix. Jazzing a plain cake up into something spectacular is fun because there are endless flavor combinations! Also, the cake mix gives a good base to a recipe.
For this Elvis Presley Cake, simple bake a white cake mix as the back of the box suggests. It can be whatever brand of cake mix you’d like, just make sure it will fill a 9×13 cake pan.
To make the pineapple topping that soaks into this cake, simply heat on the stovetop the pineapple and sugar. You’ll mix until the sugar is dissolved. It will look like a syrup! Poke holes in the baked, cooled cake with a fork, then pour this warm pineapple mix overtop. Some of the syrup will soak in and some will sit on top. Mmm…delicious!
Cream Cheese Frosting
This cream cheese frosting is easy to mix up, especially if you have a hand mixer or stand mixer. Make sure to have both the butter and cream cheese at room temperature. Don’t melt them. They should be just barely soft to the touch.
If you find the frosting is too thick upon first mixing, add a few tablespoons of heavy cream and beat it in. Just be sure not to add too much!
How to Store Cake
You can store this cake at room temperature for 24 hours. If you are going to have it longer than that, you may want to refrigerate it because of the fruit and frosting. Make sure it is covered well if it is at room temperature or in the fridge.
Other Pineapple Cake Recipes
Tools to Make This Cake
- 9”x13” Baking Pan: One of my most used kitchen pans.
- KitchenAid Stand Mixer: The best mixer for cakes, cookies and frostings!
- Ninja Express Chop: Mini food processor…this is one of my most-used kitchen tools!
- Straight Icing Spatula: The long straight spatula makes it easy to smooth frosting.
- Wire Cooling Racks: This will help your cakes cool more quickly.
Elvis Presley Cake
- 1 box white cake mix (with ingredients on the back of the box)
For the pineapple topping:
- 8 ounces crushed pineapple with juice (1 small can)
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
For the frosting:
- 8 ounces cream cheese (softened)
- 1/2 cup butter (softened)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 4-5 tablespoons heavy cream
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- Prepare cake according to instructions on package.
- Bake in a greased 9x13 inch pan according to package directions.
- Allow the cake to cool on a wire rack.
- Once the cake has cooled, use a fork to poke some holes over the top of the cake.
- Combine pineapple and sugar in saucepan. Bring o barely a boil and stir until the sugar is dissolve. The juice should look clear. Then remove from heat.
- Spoon over cooled cake and spread the pineapple out to cover the top completely.
- In a large bowl, cream butter and cream cheese until smooth.
- Add the vanilla extract and mix well.
- Add powdered sugar and beat again until smooth. Add in the heavy cream a tablespoon at a time as needed to make the frosting spreadable.
- Drop spoonfuls of frosting over the top of the cake, then spread the frosting very carefully over cake. Be very gently doing this so the layers stay in place.
- Sprinkle with pecans.
- Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
The calories shown are based on the cake being cut into 15 pieces, with 1 serving being 1 slice of cake. Since different brands of ingredients have different nutritional information, the calories shown are just an estimate. **We are not dietitians and recommend you seek a nutritionist for exact nutritional information.**