You’ll love this easy peach crumb cake. Semi-homemade yellow cake, peach slices, buttery crumble and a simple powdered sugar glaze.
Who loves crumb topping? Crumbs on top of cake are a weakness of mine. And if fruit is included? I’m in trouble.
If you’re looking for an easy breakfast cake for a spring shower, family gathering or just a warm spring Saturday morning, give this easy peach crumb cake a try. It starts with a box cake mix, but the fruit, crumbs and glaze put it over the top!
Which brand of cake mix is best?
Duncan Hines is the brand that we often pick up. We’ve not done a side-by-side cake taste-testing, but we’ve really never had any issues with any of the major brands.
For this recipe you won’t use the ingredients on the back of the box…only use what is listed in the ingredient list below. This addition of pudding, sour cream and vanilla will make the box cake mix taste more like homemade!
Canned Peaches vs Fresh Peaches
You can use fresh peaches or canned peaches in this cake. Obviously fresh peaches are so delicious in baking, but if they are not available, canned peaches will work just fine.
If you use canned peaches, make sure they are well drained. Use thinly sliced peaches so that they don’t add too much moisture to the cake.
Crumb Topping for Cake
This crumb topping calls for equal parts flour and sugar. Combine the flour, sugar, melted butter and cinnamon and mix together until the topping is nice and crumbly. Sprinkle the batter all over the top of your peaches.
This bakes up and gives an AMAZING sugary crunch to every bite. Delicious!
Powdered Sugar Glaze
Wait to mix up the powdered sugar glaze until right before you are ready to drizzle it on the cake. This will prevent a sugar crust from forming on the glaze, making it hard to drizzle.
Mix the powdered sugar and vanilla together, then add 2-3 tbsp of the heavy cream (or milk) and keep adding more until you get a good drizzling consistency.
Drizzle over the top and you’re ready to serve the cake!
Other Crumb Cake Recipes
**Need a cute cake plate? We love this one!**
Peach Crumb Cake
For the cake:
- 1 box box yellow or white cake mix (15.25 ounces)
- 1 box instant vanilla pudding (3.4 ounces)
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 3 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 cans canned peaches, drained (15 ounces each) (3-4 fresh peaches)
For the topping
- 2/3 cup flour
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter (melted)
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
For the powdered sugar glaze:
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3-5 tablespoons heavy cream or milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and prepare a 9×13 baking dish with non stick spray.
- Drain the canned peaches and cut each slice into 2-3 thinner slices, set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the cake mix, vanilla pudding mix, sour cream, oil, eggs and vanilla and mix until well combined, a hand mixer or stand mixer works well for this.
- Pour the batter into the prepared baking dish and spread out evenly, the batter will be a little thick.
- Top the batter with the sliced peaches, covering the entire cake.
- In a small bowl, prepare the topping by combining the flour, sugar, melted butter and cinnamon and mix together until the topping is nice and crumbly. Sprinkle the batter all over the top of your peaches.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes, watch the cake around 40-45 minutes and pull it out soon as a toothpick comes out clean. Set the cake out to cool completely.
- Once cooled, prepare the powdered sugar glaze by mixing the powdered sugar and vanilla together, add 2-3 tbsp of the heavy cream or milk and keep adding more until the desired consistency has been reached.
- Drizzle all over the top, slice and enjoy! Can be stored covered at room temperature.