Choose this low fat cake recipe for a light, chocolate dessert! Chocolate Angel Food Cake has delicious flavor and is simply beautiful with a sprinkling of powdered sugar.
Chocolate Angel Food Cake Recipe
From Scratch Chocolate Angel Food Cake. Just look at the texture on this cake. Delicious, right? This easy homemade cake is stunning with a sprinkling of powdered sugar and a drizzling of chocolate. You can also use it as a new way to serve strawberry shortcake when fresh summer berries are ready to harvest. Chocolate and strawberries? Yum!
Low Fat Cake Recipe
Have your healthy and eat your cake, too! This low-fat cake recipe is a great option for when you’re watching your fat intake yet need something just a little sweet. There is zero fat in this cake recipe and only 173 calories per slice if you slice the cake into 12 slices. Sounds like a great after-dinner snack to me!
How to Make Chocolate Angel Food Cake
Making homemade angel food cake isn’t as difficult as you may think. There are three important steps.
- Sift the dry ingredients together. Cocoa powder often times has little lumps when you measure it out. You don’t want those lumps in your angel food cake. Sifting is definitely a “don’t skip” step!
- Beat the egg whites and cream of tartar until they hold stiff peaks. I highly recommend a stand mixer for this. Your arm will get tired if you use anything else. Also, be sure your bowls and utensils are free of any hint of grease or the eggs will not beat stiff. Add the sugar and vanilla once the eggs are beaten.
- Gently fold together the egg mixture into the dry ingredients. Be careful on this step. Angel food cake is delicate and you want to be sure you are not mixing the fluffy eggs too fast or hard.
How to Cool Angel Food Cake
It’s important to cool angel food cake upside down. Angel food cake pans have “feet” on the top outer ring. Those feet allow the pan to rest upside down on top of three glasses. Why cool angel food cake upside down? You want the cake to stay fluffy, tall and not fall as it cools. Immediately invert the cake when it comes out of the oven and let it cool completely upside down.
Looking for More Angel Food Cake Recipes?
Tools Needed to Make Angel Food Cake
Chocolate Angel Food Cake
- 3/4 cup cake flour
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 2 cups egg whites (about 10 large eggs)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons powdered sugar (for sprinkling on top)
- 3 tablespoons chocolate syrup (for drizzling on top)
- Sift together the flour, cocoa and salt. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer and using the wire whisk attachment, mix together the cream of tartar and egg whites. Beat the whites until they hold stiff peaks.
- Add the vanilla, then the sugar 1/2 cup at a time, beating between each addition.
- Gently fold the egg mixture into the flour mixture.
- Spoon the batter into an ungreased angel food cake tube pan.
- Bake at 325 degrees for 45 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the oven and immediately invert the pan, standing it upside down on 3 glasses that are equal in height for support.
- Allow the cake to cool upside down completely, then slide a knife around the sides and center of the pan to loosen the cake.
- Remove the cake to a plate.
- Dust the top of the cake with powdered sugar and a drizzle of chocolate syrup, if desired.
- Store in an airtight container.