Are you wanting something a little different than traditional Blueberry Cake? This from scratch Lemon Blueberry Coffee Cake is tasty and just what you want to enjoy with your coffee in the morning.
It’s the best dessert to make when you really aren’t craving anything else. Plus, you don’t have to just eat it while you’re enjoying coffee, you can enjoy it any time of day.
Lemon Blueberry Coffee Cake
WHERE ARE COFFEE CAKES FROM?
This may be hard to believe or easy to believe but according to Wikipedia this lovely cake tradition comes straight from Germany and Scandinavia.
WHY IS IT CALLED COFFEE CAKE?
If you think about it, there are lots of different kinds of cakes out there. Why is this particular cake called coffee cake? Most coffee cakes are classified this way because they have a sort of streusel topping on them.
In coffee cakes, you’ll often find a sweet topping on the top, instead of icing. Main ingredients in coffee cakes are often cinnamon, yeasted fruitcake, and marzipan.
Keep in mind that it may have originated from Germany, but other cultures always make dishes their own. So, the coffee cake we serve in America today, may not be the original type of coffee cake that was enjoyed way back when in Germany.
HOW IS COFFEE CAKE MADE?
Start by grabbing a large bowl, cream together the butter, sugar and lemon zest until mixture is light and fluffy. Then, you’ll want to add in the egg and vanilla and mix until combined.
In a medium bowl, mix together the flour, salt and baking powder. Then you will pour part of the flour mixture into the large bowl of wet ingredients, stir, add in the plain yogurt and rest of the flour mixture and mix until completely combined.
Lastly, you’ll want to fold in the floured blueberries.Spread the batter into your prepared pan. The batter will be thick, but sprinkle the top with a little bit of sugar. Then, you will bake for 40-45 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean.
You will then move onto making the glaze and putting the cake together. This is the most moist and delicious cake you will find.
DOES COFFEE CAKE ACTUALLY HAVE COFFEE IN IT?
The average person might think that coffee cake has some sort of coffee in it. Are they right? Well, some of these cakes probably do have coffee in it, but not our Lemon Blueberry Coffee Cake. Most people just call it coffee cake because it’s something they enjoy with their coffee.
In fact, coffee cake is an excellent breakfast dish. When you make your coffee in the morning, you can pair it with a piece of cake that isn’t too sweet, but that does taste just right. It would probably be a bit too much if coffee was a regular ingredient in coffee cake.
IS COFFEE CAKE A PASTRY?
Some would say that coffee cake is a pastry! Lemon Blueberry Coffee Cake could easily be considered more of a pastry than the type of cakes we’re used to having.
Of course, another name for this would be a sweet bread. However, in my opinion, names are names, it doesn’t have to define WHAT something is. Whether you call it a cake, pastry, or bread: it’s still very delicious.
Powdered Sugar Glaze
Although many times coffee cakes are topping with streusel, this cake just has a simple glaze.
Glaze is made from powdered sugar and heavy cream. (You can use milk if you’d like, but cream makes it more rich and flavorful.)
To add flavor to this glaze, you’ll add lemon zest. This helps the cake taste so fresh!
WHY DO CAKES GET HARD AFTER BAKING?
Coffee cakes have been known to get hard if you don’t know how to prevent it. When your oven is too hot, this cake make the coffee cake hard. In fact, older ovens tend to do this.
If you find you have problems with this, try and lower the temperature, just a little bit, if your oven is a little out of control. Sometimes, if you beat your mixture a little too much, this can also make the batter bakes into a hard concoction.
At any rate, coffee cake doesn’t need to be complicated. I hope you enjoy our version of this Lemon Blueberry Coffee Cake because it is truly that good!
OTHER BLUEBERRY CAKES TO TRY
TOOLS TO MAKE THIS CAKE
- KitchenAid Stand Mixer: The best mixer for cakes, cookies and frostings!
- Beater Blade with Scraper: The best invention ever!
- Zester: We have this zester. It’s long and easily sits on bowls for quick zesting.
Lemon Blueberry Coffee Cake
For the cake:
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 large egg (room temperature)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 3/4 cup flour
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cup blueberries (lightly tossed with a bit of flour)
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt
For the glaze:
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 2-4 tablespoons heavy cream
- lemon zest (for topping)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray an 8×8 inch pan with non stick spray.
- In a large bowl, cream together the butter, sugar and lemon zest until the mixture is light and fluffy.
- Add in the egg and vanilla and mix until combined.
- In a medium bowl, mix together the flour, salt and baking powder.
- Pour part of the flour mixture into the large bowl of wet ingredients, stir, add in the plain yogurt and rest of flour mixture and then mix until completely combined.
- Fold in the floured blueberries.
- Spread the batter into your prepared pan. The batter will be thick.
- Sprinkle the top with a little bit of sugar.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool for 10-15 minutes.
- Prepare the glaze by mixing together the powdered sugar and heavy cream, start with 2 tablespoons of cream and continue to add more until the desired consistency has been reached.
- Drizzle all over the top and then sprinkle a little lemon zest on top.
- Lightly cover with foil and store at room temperature.