An orange bourbon glaze soaks into this simple flavored, from scratch bundt cake with bourbon baked in it. Top this easy bourbon cake recipe with a dollop of whipped cream and fresh fruit.
Bourbon Cake Recipe
If you’re looking for a unique hostess gift to take to a holiday party, try this bourbon cake! It is a simple cake, but so pretty when topped with whipped cream and your favorite fresh fruit. It’s great with ice cream…or even for breakfast with a cup of coffee.
Easy Bourbon Cake
There are some bourbon cakes that call for a cake mix, but this one is made from scratch. And guess what…it’s still easy! If you are a beginning cake maker, there’s no need to worry with this easy cake recipe. It is mixed like a traditional cake and is baked in a bundt cake pan. There are some beautiful bundt cake pans available in stores or on Amazon, so if you’re taking it as a gift, find a pretty design (such as this one) and wow the guests!
How to Make Bourbon Cake
The first step to ensuring your bundt cake bakes up beautifully is to prepare the pan. For bundt cakes, you want to make sure the cake comes out cleanly. The best trick for this is oru cake release (find the recipe here)…or you can use shortening and flour. Be sure to grease the pan with shortening (No, not butter. It won’t work as well.) and dust it lightly with flour. Only allow the cake to cool in the pan for 10 minutes, then turn it onto a wire rack. These tips should help your cake turn out beautifully.
As far as mixing up the cake:
- Mix the dry ingredients first and set aside.
- Stir together the milk, vanilla and bourbon and set aside.
- Mix the butter and sugars, then add the eggs, mixing after each separate egg is added.
- Alternately mix the flour mixture and the milk mixture into the butter/sugar mixture.
- Mix just until the batter is combined.
And then you’re ready to bake!
This cake takes about 80 minutes to bake. The exact timing will depend on your cake pan, so I like to set my timer for 10 minutes less than what it calls for just to be sure the cake doesn’t overbake.
Orange Juice Bourbon Glaze
The simple glaze has just 3 ingredients: orange juice, bourbon and sugar. Melt these ingredients together in a saucepan over medium low heat. There’s no need to let the mixture boil. Just heat it until the sugar granules are dissolved. Brush the cake with the glaze after you’ve taken it out of the pan, while the cake is still warm. The glaze will soak into the cake and make it taste delicious!
How to Store Bundt Cake
This bourbon cake recipe can be stored at room temperature for 24 hours. It can be wrapped well and stored in the refrigerator for 3-4 days. And this cake freezes really well too! Wrap the cake well and store it in the freezer for up to 4 months. When you take the cake out to defrost, allow it to come to room temperature before you unwrap it. It is a great make-ahead cake!
Other Bundt Cake Recipes
- Triple Chocolate Bundt Cake
- Pumpkin Spice Latte Bundt Cake
- Hershey Bundt Cake
- Lemon Bundt Cake
- Red Velvet Bundt Cake
WHAT YOU NEED TO MAKE THIS CAKE
- Bundt Cake Pan: This is a classic, must-have kitchen tool.
- Bundt Cake Carrier: Store your cake in this carrier to keep it fresh and easy to transport!
- Cake Plate: I have this cake plate and everyone loves it! It comes with the cute server too.
Bourbon Cake Recipe
For the Cake:
- 3 cups flour
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 cup milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- ¼ cup bourbon
- 1 1/2 cups dark brown sugar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 cup butter (softened)
- 5 large eggs
For the Glaze:
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons bourbon
Make the Cake:
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- Grease and flour a 12-cup bundt pan.
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, salt, baking powder, and baking soda. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine the milk, vanilla, and bourbon. Set aside.
- In large bowl, using a hand mixer, beat sugars and butter until creamy. About 3-4 minutes.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Turn the mixer to low and alternately add flour mixture and milk mixture, mixing well, but just until combined.
- Pour batter into the prepared pan.
- Bake 1 hour and 20 minutes or until cake springs back when toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool cake in pan on a wire rack for 10 minutes, then turn it out onto a plate.
Make the Glaze:
- In a small saucepan over medium low heat, whisk together the orange juice, sugar and bourbon. Mix and stir until the sugar is dissolved. Do not let the mixture boil.
- Brush/drizzle glaze all over warm cake immediately after turning it out onto the plate.
- Allow the cake to cool completely before serving.
- Top the cake with a dollop of whipped cream and fresh fruit.
- Store the cake in an airtight container at room temperature.