Try this quick homemade cream cheese whipped cream frosting on your next homemade cake or box mix. It’s easy to make and delicious to eat with any flavor.
If you love trying new recipes with some of your favorite cakes, this recipe is for you! Whether you are making a homemade cake or a box mix cake, this Cream Cheese Whipped Cream Frosting will pair perfectly with it.
It’s light, it’s fluffy and has an amazing flavor. It will melt in your mouth!
What you’ll need to make this recipe:
- Cream cheese. You want to plan ahead and bring the cream cheese to room temperature. It doesn’t need to be warm, just at room temp so that it creams easily and gets really smooth.
- Powdered sugar. If you’d like, you could use Lakanto Monk Fruit powdered sugar for a low carb option!
- Vanilla extract. Or use your favorite extract to switch up the flavors.
- Heavy whipping cream. You want to make sure this is very cold. Whipping cream whips best when it is straight from the fridge.
How to Make Cream Cheese Whipped Cream Frosting
- Beat your cream cheese, powdered sugar, and vanilla together until smooth.
- Then slowly add in your cold heavy whipping cream (emphasis on cold because it will whip better if it is straight out of the refrigerator).
- Whisk your cream cheese and heavy whipping cream until it is light, fluffy, and forms soft peaks.
How do I keep the frosting firm?
The best method for keeping the topping firm, yet creamy is to beat the cream cheese before the heavy whipping cream. If you beat the cold heavy whipping cream first, the cream cheese tends to instantly harden and form lumps in your topping. It also takes much longer to come together and get those beautiful smooth soft peaks.
How to Store this Frosting
This frosting should be stored in the refrigerator because of the high milk content. Store a frosted cake and any leftover frosting in the fridge.
What cakes is this frosting good on?
Although this frosting is delicious on many different flavors of cakes, here are a few of our favorites:
- white texas sheet cake
- chocolate crazy cake
- vanilla cupcakes
- walnut pineapple cake
- jello cake
- pumpkin chai cake
Cream Cheese Whipped Cream Frosting
- 8 ounces cream cheese (softened to room temperature)
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 ½ teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 ½ cups heavy whipping cream (cold)
- Using a stand mixer with the paddle attachment, beat together cream cheese, powder sugar, and vanilla until light and fluffy.
- Switch to the whisk attachment and slowly add in heavy whipping cream until fully incorporated.
- Beat topping until it thickens and forms soft peaks, about 3-5 minutes.
- Spread topping over cake.
- Refrigerate any cake frosted with this frosting.