Strawberry Jello and a box cake mix make this easy strawberry cake recipe one that anyone can make! The best strawberry flavor cake combines with an easy homemade frosting. You may also like our from-scratch strawberry cake.
Easy Strawberry Cake Recipe
We’re usually all about the 100%, from-scratch homemade cakes, but when it comes to an incredible strawberry cake, this easy strawberry cake recipe wins hands down.
Strawberry Jello Cake
This simple recipe starts with a box cake mix and strawberry gelatin, but don’t worry…it also includes fresh strawberries!The box cake mix and the jello mix make this an extra easy, no-fail cake. It’s easy to mix up and turns out so moist and delicious every time!
Strawberry Layer Cake or 9×13 Cake
You can make this cake as a layer cake or a sheet cake. Baking time and instructions for both sizes are found in the instructions below.
Easy Strawberry Frosting
Although this strawberry frosting doesn’t have fresh strawberries in it, it still has fantastic flavor. Simply make a plain buttercream and whip in some strawberry jam. You’ll get a pretty pink color with a light strawberry flavor. This is delicious on cupcakes too and is stiff enough to hold pretty swirls.
Other Strawberry Cake Recipes
- Chocolate Strawberry Cake Roll
- Strawberry Poke Cake
- Strawberry Shortcake Layer Cake
- Strawberry Flan Jello Cake
Tools to Make This Cake
- Stand Mixer: A hand mixer will work, but I always find it easier to make frostings with a stand mixer.
- Beater Blade with Scraper: The best invention ever!
- 9” Round Cake Pan: These are my favorite pans!
- Straight Icing Spatula: The long straight spatula makes it easy to smooth frosting.
- Wire Cooling Racks: This will help your cakes cool more quickly.
Easy Strawberry Cake Recipe
- 1 box white cake mix (16.25 ounces)
- 1 package strawberry flavored gelatin (3 ounces)
- 1/2 cup milk 2%
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup fresh strawberry puree
- 1 1/2 cups butter (softened)
- 6 cups powdered sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup heavy cream (plus more if needed)
- 1/2 cup strawberry jam
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, combine the cake mix, gelatin, milk, oil, eggs and fresh strawberry puree.
- Beat on low speed until mixed, then beat on medium speed for 2 minutes.
- Grease and flour two 9" round cake pans (*see instructions below for 9x13 cake pan*).
- Divide the batter evenly between the two cake pans.
- Bake at 325 degrees for 29 minutes, or until the top of the cake bounces back when you touch it.
- Allow the cakes to cool for 10 minutes, then turn them out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- For the Frosting
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, cream the softened butter for 1-2 minutes until nearly white in a appearance.
- Add 2 cups of powdered sugar and the vanilla extract. Beat on low for 1 minute. Scrape down the sides of the bowl.
- Mix in the heavy cream* and another 2 cups of powdered sugar. Beat on low for 1 minute. Scrape down the sides of the bowl.
- Add the last 2 cups of powdered sugar and the strawberry jam. Beat on low speed until mixed, then beat on medium speed for 1-2 minutes, until the frosting is creamy and smooth, scraping down the sides as needed.
- To Frosting the Cake:
- Place one cake layer on a cake plate.
- Spread frosting on top of the first layer.
- Place the second cake layer on top of the frosting.
- Use the remaining frosting to frost the top and sides of the layer cake.
- Optional: Decorate the top middle of the cake with a few tablespoons of strawberry jam and fresh strawberries.
- Store at room temperature until serving, then store leftovers in the refrigerator.
1 cup butter, softened
4 cups powdered sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
4-5 tablespoons heavy cream
1/3 cup strawberry jam