You’ve never had a pound cake like this! Unique flavors blend together in a delicious way with this Five Flavor Pound Cake. Drizzle a powdered sugar glaze on top for a pretty look. You may also like our sour cream pound cake and honey pound cake!
Five Flavor Pound Cake Recipe
Crazy flavor. That’s how I describe this 5 flavor pound cake. If you’ve ever had a complaint about a cake “not tasting right” or being “flavorless”, this is the cake you need. 5 flavor extracts…all in one cake, and then drizzled overtop in a glaze. And it’s not just the flavor…the texture of this cake is amazing too! I came across this recipe in an old cookbook of mine (Mennonite Country Style Recipes) and it did not disappoint!
How to Make 5 Flavor Pound Cake
- We find it easiest to mix this cake batter together with a hand mixer. A stand mixer would work ok too, but it’s a job that a hand mixer can easily handle.
- Cream together the softened (but not melted) butter and sugar.
- Then you can add the eggs and blend them well with the butter mixture.
- This is a fairly forgiving cake batter as far as when you add what ingredients. We usually throw in the baking powder, salt and flavorings, then mix it well.
- Lastly, we alternate the flour and milk. Beating the mixture between each addition. You don’t want to over beat the cake batter, but scrape the sides of the bowl and make sure that the butter is all blended well.
HOW TO PREVENT Pound CAKES FROM STICKING?
If you’ve had problems with pound cakes sticking to the pans, here are our hints:
- Generously grease the pan with shortening. Don’t use butter or margarine. Shortening works best. If you have an intricately shaped bundt pan, be sure to get all of the grooves and crevices covered.
- After greasing the pan, dust the pan with flour.
- Allow the cake to cool in the pan for just 10 minutes (unless the recipe says otherwise). Then turn the cake out to a wire rack to cool completely.
5 Flavor Pound Cake Glaze
The original recipe for the glaze called for 1 teaspoon of each extract. My kids thought it was a little strong so we now reduce it t 1/2 a teaspoon each. If you find you want more intense flavor, up the extracts to 1 teaspoon each again.
Whisk the sugar, extracts and heavy cream together. If you use a lower fat milk, add it 1 tablespoon at a time until you get it to drizzling consistency. You won’t need as much milk if it is low fat to get a drizzling consistency. So just be careful how much milk you add…and add it slowly!
Other Pound Cake Recipes
Tools to Make This Cake
- KitchenAid Stand Mixer: The best mixer for frothing eggs and mixing cakes!
- Beater Blade with Scraper: The best invention ever!
- Bundt Cake Carrier: Store your cake in this carrier to keep it fresh and easy to transport!
- Cake Plate: I have this cake plate and everyone loves it! It comes with the cute server too.
- Nordic Ware Vintage Star Bundt Cake Pan: One of my favorite bundt pans! It’s beautiful.
Five Flavor Pound Cake
For the Cake:
- 1 1/2 cups butter (softened)
- 3 cups granulated sugar
- 5 large eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon coconut flavoring
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract
- 1 teaspoon rum flavoring
- 1 teaspoon butter flavoring
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup milk
Powdered Sugar Glaze:
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup heavy cream (plus a few more tablespoons if needed)
- 1/2 teaspoon coconut flavoring
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon extract
- 1/2 teaspoon rum flavoring
- 1/2 teaspoon butter flavoring
To Make the Cake:
- Preheat the oven to 340 degrees. Grease a 10" bundt pan with shortening, then dust with flour.
- Cream together the softened butter and sugar using a hand mixer.
- Beat in the eggs until well blended.
- Add the baking powder, salt, and flavorings. Mix well.
- Add the flour and milk alternately, mixing and scraping the bowl between each addition.
- Pour the batter in the prepared pan and bake for 65-70 minutes. The exact time will depend on the size and shape of your bundt pan so watch it closely. Don't open the oven until you think it is done.
- Allow the cake to cool for 10 minutes in the pan.
- Turn the cake onto a cake plate to cool completely.
To Make the Glaze:
- Combine the sugar and extracts in a small bowl. Add 1/4 cup heavy cream. Whisk together. Add more heavy cream 1 tablespoon at a time until you get the correct drizzling consistency.
- Drizzle the glaze over the cooled cake.
- Store the cake in an airtight container.