Serve a dessert with a pop of beautiful red color. This red velvet sheet cake is made from scratch and has melt in your mouth cream cheese frosting. Great for holiday parties!
Have you tried our red velvet layer cake yet? It has an amazing color…and is one of the easiest homemade cakes to make!
Red Velvet Sheet Cake Recipe
Homemade Red Velvet Cake
So how do you make red velvet cake? It starts like any other cake. Mix up the dry ingredients and the wet ingredients separately. Here are some special hints as you make this cake:
- This recipe calls for shortening which gives it a great texture. You can use butter, but it will change the texture.
- 1 ounces of red food coloring? Yes. If you want a beautiful red color, that’s how much it takes.
- Add buttermilk. You can make your own buttermilk at home with milk and vinegar, or buy some at the store. It keeps in your fridge for awhile so you can easily keep it on hand.
- Vinegar in cake? Yes! You won’t taste the vinegar. It will react with the baking soda and make the cake fluffy. Don’t skip it! Mix this in last, after you’ve mixed in everything else.
How long does a sheet cake bake?
This red velvet sheet cake should be completely cooked in about 15 minutes. Because it is a shallow cake pan, it won’t take as long to bake through. If you use a different size or depth of pan, the baking time may vary.
Cream Cheese Frosting
This is our classic cream cheese frosting recipe. It’s made with room temperature cream cheese whipped with softened butter. Mix in some powdered sugar and a touch of vanilla. Add heavy cream one tablespoon at a time until you get a nice, spreadable consistency.
People rave about this cream cheese frosting!
What is the size of a sheet cake?
Sheet cakes can be different sizes. This red velvet sheet cake batter is enough to fill an 11×17″ sheet cake. Use the size pan that your recipe calls for for the best results.
How many does sheet cake serve?
We cut our sheet cake in 15 pieces, but if there are other desserts around, you could easily cut those pieces in half again for a total of 30 pieces of cake.
Other Red Velvet Recipes
TOOLS TO MAKE LEMON CAKE
- Cake Spatula: To get that frosting nice and smooth.
- Hand mixer: I don’t pull out my stand mixer for this recipe. A hand mixer works perfectly.
- 11×17” Cookie Sheet: Perfect for sheet cakes!
Red Velvet Sheet Cake
For the Frosting:
- 5 ounces cream cheese (room temperature)
- ¾ cup butter (softened)
- 1 ½ teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 3 tablespoons heavy cream
For the Cake:
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 ounce red food coloring
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoon white vinegar
- 2 teaspoons unsweetened cocoa powder
For the Frosting:
- In a medium bowl, use a hand mixer to cream together the cream cheese and butter until smooth.
- Add the vanilla extract and powdered sugar. Mix well.
- Add in the cream, 1 tablespoon at a time, until you’ve reached the desired consistency.
For the Cake
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Cream together the shortening and sugar.
- Add eggs and mix well.
- Add the vanilla extract, cocoa and red color and mix again.
- Add the buttermilk, salt and flour. Mix well.
- Lastly, add the vinegar and baking soda and mix until the batter is smooth.
- Spray an 11x17x1” sheet cake pan with cooking spray.
- Spread the batter evenly in the pan.
- Bake the cakes for 15 minutes or until the center of the cake bounces back when you touch it.
- Allow the cakes to cool completely and then frost.