Use cake mix for something besides cake! We’ll show you how to make cookies from cake mix. Only 3 ingredients and 15 minutes!
This is a basic recipe for cake mix cookies using any cake mix. You can make spice cookies, strawberry cookies, or chocolate cookies based on the type of cake mix you choose. Pick whichever you love best!
What brand of cake mix is best for cookies?
We have made cake mix recipes with just about every brand of cake mix. You’ll notice that almost each brand has a different box weight. That’s ok. We’ve used both Pillsbury and Duncan Hines cake mixes that were 15.25 ounces. Even Aldi box mixes are about that same weight. Any will work!
We typically find ourselves picking up either Duncan Hines or Betty Crocker.
How to Make Cookies from Cake Mix
All you need to make cake cookies is 3 ingredients:
- cake mix
From that point you can add other ingredients such as sprinkles, chocolate chips, nuts, etc.
- Prepare. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees and prepare a cookie sheet for baking by lining with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Mix. In a large bowl use a wooden spoon to combine the cake mix, vegetable oil and eggs. Stir until fully incorporated. Add in any sprinkles, nuts, etc.
- Scoop. Use a cookie scoop to create round cookie dough balls. Place evenly apart on the prepared cookie sheet. Press each dough ball down slightly and top with extra sprinkles, if desired.
- Bake. Bake for 8-10 minutes or until the outer edges and bottom begin to brown. We like ours to hardly have any brown. This keeps them soft, so watch them closely.
- Cool. Remove from the oven and cool completely.
How long should cookies cool?
Let these cookies cool for a couple of minutes on the pan before removing them to the cooling rack to cool completely. The cake mix base makes the cookies very soft and removing them too soon can result in broken cookies.
Cookies should be completely cool (about 45-60 minutes) before storing them in an airtight container.
What is the best way to store cookies?
Once the cookies are completely cool, store them in an airtight container at room temperature. Our favorite method is to store the cookies in either a plastic zippered bag or a snap lid storage container.
Can you freeze cake mix cookies?
Yes! These cookies freeze well. Wrap them first in plastic wrap, then wrap again in a zippered plastic bag or other storage container. Store for up to 4 weeks in the freezer.
When you are ready to defrost them, allow them to fully defrost to room temperature before opening the bag. This keeps the cookies fresh.
Cake Mix Cookies
- 1 box cake mix (about 15.25 ounces)
- ⅓ cup vegetable oil
- 2 large eggs
- chocolate chips
- toffee bits
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees and prepare a cookie sheet for baking by lining with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a large bowl use a wooden spoon to combine the cake mix, vegetable oil and eggs. Stir until fully incorporated. (You can add any candies, chocolates or nuts in at this point.)
- Use a cookie scoop to create 2 Tablespoon round cookie dough balls. Place evenly apart on the prepared cookie sheet.
- Press each dough ball down slightly and top with extra sprinkles, if desired.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes or until the outer edges and bottom begin to brown.
- Remove from the oven and cool completely on the cookie rack.
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes. This dough will be stickier than other cookie doughs.
Yes! Add any flavor frosting you’d like. Make sure the cookies are completely cool before frosting.
Other Cake Mix Recipes
Have a cake mix on hand? Try one of these classic recipes!